Design for Wire and Arc Additive Layer Manufacture
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Additive Layer Manufacture (ALM) is a technique whereby freeform structures are produced by building up material in layers. RUAM (Ready-to-Use Additive Layer Manufacturing) is an innovative concept for building large scale metal ready-to-use parts. The design for RUAM has several process steps: the geometric design of the parts taking the complex process behaviour of the arc welding process into account; FEM to predict temperature and stress distributions to minimise part distortions; and efficient robot tool path design. This paper covers these essential design steps from a technical as well as practical point of view.
- Wood, D. (2009) Additive layer manufacturing at airbus – reality check or view into the future? TCT Magazine, 17(3):23–27.
- Lockett, H., Kazanas, P. (2009) Design for additive layer manufacture. The Laser User, 57:22–23.
- Bernard, A., Fischer, A. (2002) New trends in rapid product development. CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, 51(2):635–652. CrossRef
- Bernard, A., Karunakaran, K.P. (2007) Rapid manufacturing of metallic objects: A challenge for research and industry. In: Bartolo et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 3rd Virtual and Rapid Manufacturing Conference VRAP, Taylor & Francis Group, London, ISBN 978-0-415-41602-3, pp. 7–14.
- Mehnen, J., Trautmann, H. (2008) Robust multi-objective optimisation of weld bead geometry for additive manufacturing. Proceedings of the 6th CIRP International Seminar on Intelligent Computation in Manufacturing Engineering (CIRP ICME '08), Naples, Italy, pp. 419–424.
- Casalino, G., Ludovico, A.D. (2008) Finite element simulation of high speed pulse welding of high specific strength metal alloys. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 197(1–3):301–305. CrossRef
- Murugan, S., Rai, S.K., Kumar, P.V., Jayakumar, T., Raj, B., Bose, M.S.C. (2001) Temperature distribution and residual stresses due to multipass welding in type 304 stainless steel and low carbon steel weld pads. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 78(4):307–317. CrossRef
- Deng, D., Murakawa, H. (2006) Numerical simulation of temperature field and residual stress in multi-pass welds in stainless steel pipe and comparison with experimental measurements. Computational Materials Science, 37(3):269–277. CrossRef
- Chin, R.K., Beuth, J.L., Amon, C.H. (2001) Successive deposition of metals in solid freeform fabrication processes, part 1: Thermomechanical models of layers and droplet columns. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 123(4):623–631. CrossRef
- Chin, R.K., Beuth, J.L., Amon, C.H. (2001) Successive deposition of metals in solid freeform fabrication processes, part 2: Thermomechanical models of adjacent droplets. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 123(4):632–638. CrossRef
- Goldak, J., Chakravarti, A., Bibby, M. (1984) New finite element model for welding heat sources. Metallurgical Transactions B, 15B:299–305. CrossRef
- Ericsson, M., Nylen, P., Danielsson, F., Johansson, H. (2005) Off-line programming or robots for metal deposition. 7th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research, Pine Mountain, Georgia, USA, May 16–20, pp.149–160.
- Rebeiro, F., Norrish, J. (1997) Making components with controlled metal deposition. The 1997 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, ISIE, Guimaraes, Portugal, pp. 831–835, vol. 3.
- Zhang, Y.M., Li, P., Chen, Y., Male, A.T. (2002) Automated system for welding-based rapid prototyping. Mechatronics, 12(1):37–53. CrossRef
- Leon, J.C., Noel, F., Fischer, A., Azernikov, S., Ollier, F. (2002) Multiresolution hybrid mesh for rapid prototyping. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 19(1):1–7. CrossRef
- Design for Wire and Arc Additive Layer Manufacture
- Book Title
- Global Product Development
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the 20th CIRP Design Conference, Ecole Centrale de Nantes, Nantes, France, 19th-21st April 2010
- pp 721-727
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Rapid product development
- Design for manufacture
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Alain Bernard (ID1)
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. , IRCCyN UMR CNRS 6597, Ecole Centrale de Nantes
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Manufacturing Department, Cranfield University, MK43 0AL, Cranfield, Bedfordshire, UK
- 2. Department of Aerospace Engineering, Cranfield University, MK43 0AL, Cranfield, Bedfordshire, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.