Twitter Me: Using Micro-blogging to Motivate Teenagers to Exercise
- Mark Mingyi YoungAffiliated withSchool of Information Systems & Technology, Claremont Graduate University
A micro-blogging site for the persuasive technology is developed along with cell phone application that helps motivate teenage girls to exercise by exploiting their social desire to stay connected with their peers. We choose teenage girls because they are more responsive to health behavior interventions and they think exercising is the easiest way to improve health. The purpose of this study is to provide real-time information sharing in order to modify the behaviors of girls and ultimately lead to improved health habits. Our study investigated how collecting, sharing and comparing personal fitness information impacts activity level and health awareness.
KeywordsPersuasive technology health improvement
- Twitter Me: Using Micro-blogging to Motivate Teenagers to Exercise
- Book Title
- Global Perspectives on Design Science Research
- Book Subtitle
- 5th International Conference, DESRIST 2010, St. Gallen, Switzerland, June 4-5, 2010. Proceedings.
- pp 439-448
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Persuasive technology
- health improvement
- Industry Sectors
- Editor Affiliations
- 16. Institute of Information Management, University of St. Gallen
- 17. Department of Information Systems, City University of Hong Kong, Kowloon
- 18. Institut of Information Management, University of St. Gallen
- Mark Mingyi Young (19)
- Author Affiliations
- 19. School of Information Systems & Technology, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA 91711, U.S.A.
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.