Cooperative Strategies in Dense Sensor Networks
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this chapter we discuss cooperative source and channel coding strategies and their performance in very dense sensor networks. In particular we investigate how the efficient acquisition of correlated data mandates that the node transmit cooperatively, instead of contending to report their local information. This is important as correlated information it is one of the remaining resource to tap into, to overcome the capacity limitations of large scale wireless networks. We indicate a simple approach to attain this objective by converting the data retrieval process into a querying strategy, where each query is used to convert the correlated data into cooperative codes, which are broadcasted over the wireless channel. We show that over a Markovian field the method would provide a reliable mean to broadcast the correlated information to the whole network with a delay that is on average in the order of the aggregate entropy of the data field.
- R. Ahlswede.: Multi-way communication channels, in Proceedings of 2nd International Symposium Informatics Theory, Tsahkadsor, Armenian S.S.R., 1971; Hungarian Academy of Sciences, pp. 23–52, 1973.
- T. Berger, N. Mehravari, D. Towsley, and J. Wolf.: Random multiple-access communication and group testing, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 32, No. 7, pp. 769–779, Jul. 1984. CrossRef
- T. Berger, Z. Zhang, and H. Viswanathan.: The CEO problem, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. IT-42, pp. 887–902, May 1996. CrossRef
- J. Capetanakis.: Generalized TDMA: the multi-accessing tree protocol, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 1476–1484, Oct. 1979. CrossRef
- T. Cover, A. El Gamal and M. Salehi.: Multiple access channels with arbitrarily correlated sources, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. IT-26, No. 6, pp. 648–657, Nov. 1980. CrossRef
- P. Gács and J. Korner.: Common information is far less than mutual information, Problems of Control and Information Theory, Vol. 2, pp. 149–162, 1973.
- M. Gastpar and M. Vetterli.: Power, spatio-temporal bandwidth, and distortion in large sensor networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 745–754, April 2005. CrossRef
- P. Gupta and P.R. Kumar.: The capacity of wireless networks, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. IT-46, pp. 388–404, Mar. 2000. CrossRef
- Y.-W. Hong, A. Scaglione, R. Manohar, and B. Sirkeci-Mergen.: Dense sensor networks that are also energy efficient: when more is less, in Proceedings of IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), pp. 1–7, Oct. 2005.
- H. Liao.: A coding theorem for multiple access communications, presented at the International Symposium Informatics Theory, Asilomar, 1972.
- L.H. Ozarow.: The capacity of the white Gaussian multiple access channel with feedback. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 156–161, 1990. CrossRef
- Y.-W. Peter Hong and A. Scaglione.: Group testing for binary Markov sources: data-driven group queries for cooperative sensor networks, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 54, No. 8, Aug. 2008.
- A. Scaglione and Y.-W Hong.: Opportunistic large arrays: cooperative transmission in wireless multihop ad hoc networks to reach far distances, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 8, pp. 2082–2092, Aug. 2003. CrossRef
- B. Sirkeci-Mergen, A. Scaglione, and G. Mergen.: Asymptotic analysis of multistage cooperative broadcast in wireless networks, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 52, No. 6, pp. 2531–2550, Jun. 2006. CrossRef
- D. Slepian and J.K. Wolf.: Noiseless coding for correlated information sources, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. IT-19, pp. 471–480, Jul. 1973. CrossRef
- Cooperative Strategies in Dense Sensor Networks
- Book Title
- Sensor Networks
- Book Subtitle
- Where Theory Meets Practice
- pp 61-74
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Signals and Communication Technology
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Gianluigi Ferrari (ID1)
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. Dipto. Ingegneria dell'Informazione, Università Parma
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Electrical and Computer Engineering, UC Davis, Davis, CA, USA
- 2. Electrical and Computer Engineering, NTHU, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- 3. Electrical and Computer Engineering, San Jose State University, San Jose, CA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.