Introduction to Visualization for Computer Security
- J. R. Goodall
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Networked computers are ubiquitous, and are subject to attack, misuse, and abuse. Automated systems to combat this threat are one potential solution, but most automated systems require vigilant human oversight. This automated approach undervalues the strong analytic capabilities of humans. While automation affords opportunities for increased scalability, humans provide the ability to handle exceptions and novel patterns. One method to counteracting the ever increasing cyber threat is to provide the human security analysts with better tools to discover patterns, detect anomalies, identify correlations, and communicate their findings. This is what visualization for computer security (VizSec) researchers and developers are doing. VizSec is about putting robust information visualization tools into the hands of humans to take advantage of the power of the human perceptual and cognitive processes in solving computer security problems. This chapter is an introduction to the VizSec research community and the papers in this volume.
- Introduction to Visualization for Computer Security
- Book Title
- VizSEC 2007
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the Workshop on Visualization for Computer Security
- pp 1-17
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Mathematics and Visualization
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Secure Decisions Division, Applied Vision, Inc.
- 2. Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, United States Military Academy
- 3. Department of Computer Science, University of California
- J. R. Goodall (4)
- Author Affiliations
- 4. Secure Decisions Division of Applied Visions, Inc., 6 Bayview Ave., Northport, NY, 11768, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.