Simulation of Magnetohydrodynamic Effects on an Ionised Hypersonic Flow by Using the TAU Code
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In the present investigation the DLR TAU code is extended to support future experimental investigations of magnetohydrodynamic effects in high temperature hypersonic flows. According to the conditions in the High Enthalpy Shock Tunnel Göttingen (HEG) the first steps in enhancing the TAU code are the implementation of a source term formulation of electromagnetic forces and the calculation of the electrical conductivity of air as a gas mixture in chemical non equilibrium. To verify the source term implementation a perfect gas study related to numerical simulations from Poggie and Gaitonde is conducted and shows reasonable agreement. Applied to the experimental conditions the model predicts a noticeable increase of the shock stand off distance.
- B. Bottin: Aerothermodynamic Model of an Inductively-Coupled Plasma Wind Tunnel. Universite de Liege, VKI, ISBN 2-9600243-0-3, 1999.
- R.S. Devoto: Simpli_ed Expressions for the Transport Properties of Ionized Monoatomic Gases. Physics of Fluids, No. 10, Issue 10, October 1967.
- T. Fujino et al.: Numerical Analyses on Flow Control arouns Blunt Body. OREX. by Magnetic Field, AIAA 2003–3760, 2003.
- T. Gerholdet al.: Calculation of Complex three-dimensional con_gurations employing the DLR TAU Code. AIAA-97–0167, 1997.
- A Mack, V. Hannemann: Validation of the Unstructured DLR-TAU-Code for Hypersonic Hows. 32nd AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, St. Louis (USA), 2002.
- H. Otsu, A. Matsuda, T. Abe, D. Korigorski: Numerical Validation of the Magnetic Flow Control for Reentry Vehicles, AIAA 2006–3236, June 2006.
- J. Poggie, D.V. Gaitonde: Computational Studies of Magnetic Control in Hypersonic Flow. AIAA 2001–10196, Reno, January 2001.
- Simulation of Magnetohydrodynamic Effects on an Ionised Hypersonic Flow by Using the TAU Code
- Book Title
- New Results in Numerical and Experimental Fluid Mechanics VI
- Book Subtitle
- Contributions to the 15th STAB/DGLR Symposium Darmstadt, Germany, 2006
- pp 300-308
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design (NNFM)
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 11. TU Darmstadt
- 12. DLR
- 13. RWTH Aachen
- 14. DLR - AE
- Author Affiliations
- 15. DLR, Institute of Aerodynamics and Flow Technology, Lilienthalplatz 7, 38018, Braunschweig, Germany
- 16. LR, Institute of Aerodynamics and Flow Technology, Bunsenstraße 10, 37073, Göttingen, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.