- … show all 0 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This is a tale of two brothers, Howard and Eugene Odum, and how they introduced ideas from general systems theory and cybernetics into the field of ecology, in the process coming to dominate ecology as an academic discipline for decades. While both drew on systems ideas, our focus is on the younger brother, Howard, as it was he who more explicitly brought these ideas into ecology and was more closely aligned with systems organisations. The importance of the Odum brothers' contribution has been summed up by a former student of Howard's, who wrote that they “were not only among the first to educate generations of scholars and the public about ecology but also pioneers in uniting the human and social aspects of environmental issues with their ecological and natural dimensions” (Gunderson et al. 2002).
- Brown, M. T. et al. (2003). Prof. Howard T. Odum, 1924–2002. Energy, 28(3), 293–301. CrossRef
- Brown, M. T., Hall, C. A. S., Jørgensen, S. E. (2004). Eulogy. Ecological Modelling 178(1/2), 1–10. CrossRef
- Gilliland, M. W. (1994). Letter to the editor. Ecological Engineering, 3(2), 89. CrossRef
- Gunderson, L., Folke C., Lee M., Holling C. S. (2002). In memory of Mavericks. Conservation Ecology, 6(2), article 19. http://www.consecol.org/vol6/iss2/art19/. Accessed 13 Jan 2009.
- Hammond, D. (1997). Ecology and ideology in the general systems community. Environment and History, 3(2), 197–207. CrossRef
- Lotka, A. (1925). Elements of physical biology. New York: Williams and Wilkins.
- Madison, M. (1997). ‘Potatoes made of oil’: Eugene and Howard Odum and the origins and limits of American agroecology. Environment and History, 3(2), 209–238. CrossRef
- Odum, E. P. (1971). Fundamentals of ecology (3rd edition). Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders.
- Odum, E. P. (1992). Great ideas in ecology for the 1990s. Bioscience, 42(7), 542–545. CrossRef
- Odum, H. T. (1957). Trophic structure and productivity of Silver Springs, Florida. Ecological Monographs, 27(1), 55–112. CrossRef
- Odum, H. T. (1971). Environment, power, and society. New York: Wiley-Interscience.
- Odum, H. T. (1983). Systems ecology: An introduction. New York: John Wiley.
- Odum, H. T. (1996). Environmental accounting: EMERGY and environmental decision making. New York: John Wiley.
- Partridge (2005). “Disequilibrium ecology” – much ado about nothing. Group meeting of the International Society for Environmental Ethics. http://gadfly.igc.org/ecology/APA-ISEE.htm. Accessed 13 Jan 2009.
- Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (1987). Press release: The Crafoord prizewinners 1987 Eugene P. Odum and Howard T. Odum. http://www.kva.se/en/Press_room/Press-releases/The-Crafoord-Prizewinners-1987-Eugene-P-Odum-and-Howard-T-Odum/.
- Taylor, P. J. (2005). Unruly complexity: Ecology, interpretation, engagement. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Todd, J. (1994). Letter to the editor. Ecological Engineering, 3(2), 104. CrossRef
- Howard Odum
- Book Title
- Systems Thinkers
- pp 87-95
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer London
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag London
- Additional Links
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.