Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Despite the advances in neuroimaging technology in recent decades, the EEG is still the cornerstone of diagnostic testing for patients with epilepsy, and it remains the best real-time assessment of cerebral physiological function available. For patients with suspected seizure disorders, the routine EEG is used by clinicians to identify the presence of interictal epileptiform discharges that serve as a marker for epilepsy, and more prolonged ambulatory or inpatient EEG monitoring is used to record completseizures. This chapter reviews interictal epileptiform abnormalities, ictal patterns observed in association with seizures, and periodic epileptiform discharge patterns.
- Ebersole JS, Pedley TA. Current Practice of Clinical Electroencephalography. 3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2002.
- Goldensohn ES, Legatt AD, Koszer S, Wolf SM. Goldensohn’s EEG Interpretation: Problems of Overreading and Underreading. 2nd ed. Futura Publishing Company, New York, NY, 1999.
- Niedermeyer E, Lopes da Silva F. Electroencephalography: Basic Principles, Clinical Applications, and Related Fields. 5th ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2004.
- Tyner FS, Knott JR, Mayer WB Jr. Fundamentals of EEG Technology: Basic Concepts and Methods. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, 1983.
- Epileptiform Abnormalities
- Book Title
- The Clinical Neurophysiology Primer
- Book Part
- pp 101-125
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press Inc.
- Additional Links
- sharp wave
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Comprehensive Epilepsy Program Department of Neurology Rhode Island Hospital, Brown Medical School
- 2. Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.