Colloidal silver proteins were marketed as “patent medicines” in the 1880s for treatment of tetanus, rheumatism, and other disorders. In the first part of the 20th century, they were used to treat the common cold and gonorrhea. Marketing of colloidal silver emerged again around 1990 (Fung et al., 1995). In the fall of 2001, reports of bioterrorism attacks using anthrax sent through the U.S. mail prompted the mayor of Howie-in-the-Hills, Florida to officially endorse the use of colloidal silver by townspeople to prevent anthrax (Siegel, 2001).
- Andersen, KJ, Wikshaland, A, Utheim, A (1986) Determination of silver in biological samples based on Zeeman effect background and matrix modification. Clin Biochem 19: pp. 166-70 CrossRef
- Boosalis, MG, Mccall, JT, Ahrenholz, DH, Solem, LD, Mcclain, CJ (1987) Serum and urinary silver levels in thermal injury patients. Surgery 101: pp. 40-3
- Bretano, L, Margraf, H, Monafo, WW, Moyer, CA (1966) Antibacterial efficacy of a colloidal silver complex. Surg Forum 17: pp. 76-8
- FDA. FDA issues final rule on OTC drug products containing colloidal silver. FDA Talk Paper, Food and Drug Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, August 17, 1999. Avaialble from: URL: http://www.fda/gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00971.html. Accessed November 13, 2001.
- Fung, MC, Bowen, DL (1996) Silver products for medical indications: risk-benefit assessment. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 34: pp. 119-26 CrossRef
- Fung, MC, Weintraub, M, Bowen, DL (1995) Colloidal silver proteins marketed as health supplements [letter. JAMA 274: pp. 1196-7 CrossRef
- Gulbranson, SH, Hud, JA, Hansen, RC (2000) Argyria following use of dietary supplements containing colloidal silver protein. Cutis 66: pp. 373-4
- Julshamn, K, Andersen, KJ, Vik, H (1986) Determination of silver biological samples using Zeeman graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry. Acta Pharmacol Toxicol Suppl 7: pp. 613-15
- Siegel R. Colloidal silver. All Things Considered, National Public Radio (NPR) broadcast, October 23, 2001.
- Wan, AT, Conyers, RAJ, Coombs, CJ, Masterton, JP (1991) Determination of silver in blood, urine, and tissues of volunteers and burn patients. Clin Chem 37: pp. 1683-1687
- Colloidal Silver
- Book Title
- Dietary Supplements
- Book Subtitle
- Toxicology and Clinical Pharmacology
- Book Part
- Part II
- pp 87-90
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Forensic Science and Medicine
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.