Colloidal silver proteins were marketed as “patent medicines” in the 1880s for treatment of tetanus, rheumatism, and other disorders. In the first part of the 20th century, they were used to treat the common cold and gonorrhea. Marketing of colloidal silver emerged again around 1990 (Fung et al., 1995). In the fall of 2001, reports of bioterrorism attacks using anthrax sent through the U.S. mail prompted the mayor of Howie-in-the-Hills, Florida to officially endorse the use of colloidal silver by townspeople to prevent anthrax (Siegel, 2001).
- Andersen KJ, Wikshaland A, Utheim A. Determination of silver in biological samples based on Zeeman effect background and matrix modification. Clin Biochem 1986; 19: 166–70. CrossRef
- Boosalis MG, McCall JT, Ahrenholz DH, Solem LD, McClain CJ. Serum and urinary silver levels in thermal injury patients. Surgery 1987; 101: 40–3.
- Bretano L, Margraf H, Monafo WW, Moyer CA. Antibacterial efficacy of a colloidal silver complex. Surg Forum 1966; 17: 76–8.
- FDA. FDA issues final rule on OTC drug products containing colloidal silver. FDA Talk Paper, Food and Drug Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, August 17, 1999. Avaialble from: URL: http://www.fda/gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00971.html. Accessed November 13, 2001.
- Fung MC, Bowen DL. Silver products for medical indications: risk-benefit assessment. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 1996; 34: 119–26. CrossRef
- Fung MC, Weintraub M, Bowen DL. Colloidal silver proteins marketed as health supplements [letter]. JAMA 1995; 274: 1196–7. CrossRef
- Gulbranson SH, Hud JA, Hansen RC. Argyria following use of dietary supplements containing colloidal silver protein. Cutis 2000; 66: 373–4.
- Julshamn K, Andersen KJ, Vik H. Determination of silver biological samples using Zeeman graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry. Acta Pharmacol Toxicol Suppl 1986; 7: 613–15.
- Siegel R. Colloidal silver. All Things Considered, National Public Radio (NPR) broadcast, October 23, 2001.
- Wan AT, Conyers RAJ, Coombs CJ, Masterton JP. Determination of silver in blood, urine, and tissues of volunteers and burn patients. Clin Chem 1991; 37: 1683–1687.
- Colloidal Silver
- Book Title
- Dietary Supplements
- Book Subtitle
- Toxicology and Clinical Pharmacology
- Book Part
- Part II
- pp 87-90
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Forensic Science and Medicine
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.