Intrauterine Insemination as a Treatment of Immunological Infertility in the Male
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Antibodies against spermatozoa membrane antigens can be demonstrated in high titres(> 64) in serum in three to four percent of men from infertile couples1,2,3 and in close to 10 percent of the men from couples with otherwise unexplained infertility.2 The antibodies which can be revealed by the Kibrick gelatine agglutination test, immobilize spermatozoa in the presence of complement. In most men with agglutinating antibodies in serum, the antibodies can also be demonstrated in seminal plasma2 where they may cause spontaneous agglutination in the ejaculate. Spermatozoa antibodies appear not to affect spermatogenesis, and semen analysis in men with autoantibodies to spermatozoa may reveal completely normal findings with normal sperm counts and a percentage of motile spermatozoa within the normal range. However, Fjällbrant and Obrant4 found a significant reduction of the motility in men who had autoantibodies.
- Fjällbrant, B. Sperm antibodies and sterility in men. Acta Obstet. Gynec. Scand., 47, suppl. 4, 1968.
- Husted, S. and Hjort, T. Sperm antibodies in serum and seminal plasma. Int. J. Fertil., 20:97, 1975.
- Rtirnke, P. and Hellinga, G. Autoantibodies against spermatozoa in sterile men. Amer. J. Clin. Path., 32:357, 1959.
- Fjällbrant, B. and Obrant, O. Clinical and seminal findings in men with sperm antibodies. Acta Obstet. Gynec., Scand., 47: 451, 1968. CrossRef
- Kremer, J. Jager, S. and Kuiken, J. The clinical significance of antibodies to spermatozoa. In: Immunological Influence on Human Fertility. B. Boettcher Eds., Academic Press, pp. 47, 1977.
- H. Hjort, T., Hansen, K.B. and Poulsen, F. The reactivity of F(ab’)2 fragments of sperm antibodies and their use in the investigation of antigen-antibody systems. In: Spermatozoa antibodies and infertility, J. Cohen and Hendry W.F., Eds., Blackwell Scientific Publications, p. 101, 1978.
- Rose, N.R., Hjort, T., Rümke, P., Harper, M.J.K. and Vyazov, O. Techniques for detection of iso-and autoantibodies to human spermatozoa. Clin. exp. Immunol., 23:175, 1976.
- Hjort, T. and Hansen, K.B. Immunofluorescent studies on human spermatozoa. Clin. exp. Immunol., 8: 9, 1971.
- Weeke, B. Crossed immunoelectrophoresis. Scand. J. Immunol., 2, Suppl. 1, 47, 1973. CrossRef
- Friberg, J. Relation between sperm-agglutinating antibodies in serum and seminal fluid. Acta Obstet. Gynec. Scand., Suppl. 36, 1974.
- Fjällbrant, B. Fertility in a man auto-immunized to spermatozoa, J. Reprod. Fertil., 14:143, 1967. CrossRef
- Rümke, P., van Amstel, N., Messer, E.N. and Bezemer, P.D. Prognosis of fertility of men with spermagglutinins in the serum. Fertil. and Steril., 25:393, 1974.
- Intrauterine Insemination as a Treatment of Immunological Infertility in the Male
- Book Title
- Human Artificial Insemination and Semen Preservation
- Book Part
- pp 549-556
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Centre d’Etude et de Conservation du Sperme Humain (CECOS)
- 2. Centre d’Etude et de Conservation du sperme (CECOS)
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Kommunehospitalet, Aarhus, Denmark
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.