Historical Remarks on the Discovery of ECT
- Lothar B. Kalinowsky
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It was a strange coincidence that the first three treatments which had a therapeutic impact on the functional psychoses, were discovered within three subsequent years: 1933 Insulin Coma Treatment, 1934 Convulsive Therapy, 1935 Psychosurgery. The only preceding successful treatment of a mental disorder had been Malaria treatment for general paresis which, however, had been directed only against the spirochetic invasion of the brain. When Wagner-von Jauregg published his first report here in Vienna and later received the Nobel Prize for it, this changed the nihilistic attitude in psychiatry, and it was perhaps not surprising that Sakel’s Insulin Coma Treatment, although he had conceived the idea in Berlin, also found its first clinical application here in Vienna.
- Accornero, F. Testimonianza oculare sulla scoperta dell’Elettroshock. Pagine di Storia della Medicina 14:38, 1970.
- Bennett, A. E. Preventing traumatic complications in convulsive shock therapy by curare. JAMA 141:322, 1940.
- Bini, L. Experimental researches on epileptic attacks induced by the electric current. Am.J.Psychiatry 94(Supp): 172, 1938.
- Cerletti, U., Bini, L. L’Elettroshock. Arch gen di neurol psichiat, e psichoanal 19:266, 1938.
- Meduna, L. J. Die Konvulsionstherapie der Schizophrenie, Halle, Carl Marhold, 1937.
- Moniz, E. Tentatives opératoires dans le traitement de certaines psychoses. Paris, Masson et Cie, 1936.
- Müller, M. Insulin und Cardiazolschockbehandlung der Schizophrenie. Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 9:131, 1937.
- Sakel, M. The nature and origin of the hypoglycemic treatment of psychoses. Am. J.Psychiatry 94(Supp):24, 1938.
- Wagner von Jauregg, J. Die Einwirkung der Malaria auf die progressive Paralyse. Psychiat Neurol Wochenschr 20:132, 1918.
- Historical Remarks on the Discovery of ECT
- Book Title
- Biological Psychiatry, Higher Nervous Activity
- pp 573-576
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.