On the Mechanisms of Sintering
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The first part of the paper describes the effect of the green density on the sintering rate of carbonyl nickel powder. These results show that the sintering rate decreases during the sintering according to a behavior more complex than usually assumed. In the second part, a new working hypothesis on the sintering mechanism is developed. The main idea is that the decreasing sintering rate is due to a simultaneous decrease both in the porosity of the compact and in the dislocation density near the pores, the latter being necessary for vacancy destruction.
- Mäkipirtti, S. (Dissertation), “On the Sintering of W-Ni-Cu Heavy Metal,” Acta Polytech. Scand., Mech. Eng. Ser. 7: 1959.
- Mäkipirtti, S., “On the Sintering of W-Ni-Cu Heavy Metal,” in: W. Leszynski (ed.), Powder Metallurgy (New York), 1961.
- Metalworking News, Jan. 15, 1964.
- Cf. Lenel, F. V., et al., “The Influence of Gravity in Sintering,” Trans. AIME 227: 640–644 (1963).
- Evans, P. E., and D. W. Ashell, “Grain Growth in Sintered Nickel Powder,” Intern. J. Powder Metallurgy 1: 36(1965).
- De Hoff, R. T., et al, “The Role of Interparticle Contacts in Sintering,” in: W. Leszynski (ed.), Powder Metallurgy (New York), 1961.
- Tikkanen, M. H., “The Part of Volume and Grain Boundary Diffusion in the Sintering of One-Phase Metallic Systems,” Planseeber. Pulvermet. 11: 70–81 (1963).
- Tikkanen, M. H., and S. Mäkipirtti, “A New Phenomenological Sintering Equation,” Intern. J. Powder Metallurgy 1: 15–22 (1965).
- Cf. van Bueren, H. G., and J. Hornstra, in: J. H. De Boer et al. (eds.), Grain Boundaries and the Sintering Mechanism in Reactivity of Solids (Amsterdam), 1961;
- and F. V. Lenel, “Sintering of Metal Powders,” in: Fundamental Phenomena in Material Sciences, Vol. 1, Sintering and Plastic Deformation, Plenum Press (New York), 1964, pp. 3–10.
- On the Mechanisms of Sintering
- Book Title
- Modern Developments in Powder Metallurgy
- Book Subtitle
- Volume 1 Fundamentals and Methods
- pp 297-309
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.