Designing Effective Social Problem-Solving Programs for the Classroom
- Roger P. Weissberg
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Several years ago I had a provocative lunch discussion with an argumentative, methodologically sophisticated colleague of mine. After we disagreed about the effects of Reaganomics on the poor, the value of the nuclear freeze, and whether Wayne Gretsky was an established hockey star,1 he began talking about the many shortcomings of school-based social problem-solving (SPS) program evaluation research (!).
- Allen, G. J., Chinsky, J. M., Larcen, S. W., Lochman, J. E., & Selinger, H. V. (1976). Community psychology and the schools: A behaviorally oriented multilevel preventive approach. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Bandura, A. (1977). Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavior change. Psychological Review, 84, 191–215. CrossRef
- Bash, M. S., & Camp, B. W. (1980). Teacher training in the Think Aloud classroom program. In G. Cartledge & J. F. Milburn (Eds.), Teaching social skills to children: Innovative approaches (pp. 143–178 ). Elmsford, NY: Pergamon.
- Cowen, E. L., Gesten, E. L., & Weissberg, R. P. (1980). An interrelated network of preventively oriented school-based mental health approaches. In R. H. Price & P. Politizer (Eds.), Evaluation and action in the community context (pp. 173–210 ). New York: Academic Press.
- Cowen, E. L., Orgel, A. R., Gesten, E. L., & Wilson, A. B. (1979). The evaluation of an intervention program for young school children with acting-out problems. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 7, 381–396. CrossRef
- Cowen, E. L., Pedersen, A., Babigian, H., Izzo, L. D., & Trost, M. A. (1973). Long-term follow-up of early detected vulnerable children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 41, 438–446. CrossRef
- Cowen, E. L., Spinell, A., Wright, S., & Weissberg, R. P. (1983). Continuing dissemination of a school-based mental health program. Professional Psychology, 13, 118–127.
- Cowen, E. L., Trost, M. A., Lorion, R. P., Dorry, D., Izzo, L. D., & Isaacson, R. V. (1975). New ways in school mental health: Early detection and prevention of school maladaption. New York: Human Sciences Press.
- Durlak, J. A. (1983). Social problem-solving as a primary prevention strategy. In R. D. Felner, L. A. Jason, J. N. Moritsugu, & S. S. Farber (Eds.), Preventive psychology (pp. 31–48 ). New York: Pergamon Press.
- D’Zurilla, T. J., & Goldfried, M. R. (1971). Problem-solving and behavior modification. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 78, 107–126. CrossRef
- Elardo, P. T., & Cooper, M. (1977). Aware: Activities for social development. Menlo Park, CA: Addison-Wesley.
- Elias, M. J. (1980). Developing instructional strategies for television-based preventive mental health curricula in elementary school settings. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT.
- Felner, R. D., Norton, P. L., Cowen, E. L., & Farber, S. S. (1981). A prevention program for children experiencing life crisis. Professional Psychology, 12, 446–452. CrossRef
- Furman, W. (1980). Promoting social develoment: Developmental implications for treatment. In B. B. Lahey & A. E. Kazdin (Eds.), Advances in clinical child psychology (Vol. 3, pp. 1–40 ). New York: Plenum Press.
- Gesten, E. L., Flores de Apodaca, R., Rains, M., Weissberg, R. P., & Cowen, E. L. (1979). Promoting peer related social competence in schools. In M. W. Kent & J. E. Rolf (Eds.), Primary prevention of psychopathology: Vol. 3. Social competence in children (pp. 220–247). Hanover, NH: University Press of New England.
- Gesten, E. L., Rains, M., Rapkin, B. D., Weissberg, R. P., Flores de Apodaca, R., Cowen, E. L., & Bowen, R. (1982). Training children in social problem-solving skills: A competence building approach, first and second look. American Journal of Community Psychology, 10, 95–115. CrossRef
- Hawkins, J. D., & Weis, J. G. (in press). The social development model: An integrated approach to delinquency prevention. Journal of Primary Prevention.
- Hopper, R., & Kirschenbaum, D. S. (in press). Social problem-solving and social competence in preadolescents: Is inconsistent problem solving problematic? Developmen-tal Psychology.
- Kendall, P. C., & Hollon, S. D. (1983). Calibrating the quality of therapy: Collaboratiave archiving of tape samples from therapy outcome trials. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 7, 199–204. CrossRef
- Kirschenbaum, D. S., & Ordman, A. M. (1984). Preventive interventions for children: Cognitive behavioral perspectives. In A. W. Meyers & W. E. Craighead (Eds), Cognitive behavior therapy for children (pp. 377–409 ). New York: Plenum Press.
- Krasnor, L. R., & Rubin, K. (1981). Assessment of social problem solving in young children. In T. Merluzzi, C. Glass, & M. Genest (Eds.), Cognitive assessment (pp. 452–478 ). New York: Guilford Press.
- Ladd, G. W., & Mize, J. (1983). A cognitive-social model of social-skill training. Psychological Review, 90, 127–157. CrossRef
- McKim, B. J., Weissberg, R. P., Cowen, E. L., Gesten, E. L., & Rapkin, B. D. (1982). A comparison of the problem-solving ability and adjustment of suburban and urban third-grade children. American Journal of Community Psychology, 10, 155–169. CrossRef
- Meichenbaum, D. (1977). Cognitive-behavior modificaiton: An integrative approach. New York: Plenum.
- Michelson, L., Mannarino, A. P., Marchione, K., & Martin, P. (1982). Relative and combined efficacy of behavioral and cognitive problem-solving programs with elementary-school children. Unpublished manuscript, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Pellegrini, D., & Urbain, E. S. (in press). An evaluation of interpersonal cognitive problem-solving training efforts with children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Prevention Task Panel Report (1978). Task panel reports submitted to the President’s Com-mission on Mental Health (Vol. 4 ). Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. Rose, S. R. (1982).
- Promoting social competence in children: A classroom approach to social and cognitive skill training. Child & Youth Services, 5, 43–59.
- Rubin, K., & Krasnor, L. R. (in press). Social cognitive and social behavioral perspectives in problem solving. In N. Perlmutter (Ed.), The Minnesota Symposium on Child Psychology. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Sarason, S. B. (1982). The culture of the school and the problem of change (Vol. 18, 2nd ed. ). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Spivack, G., Platt, J. J., & Shure, M. B. (1976). The problem-solving approach to adjustment. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Spivack, G., & Shure, M. B. (1974). Social adjustment of young children. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Spivack, G., & Shure, M. B. (1982). The cognition of social adjustment: Interpersonal cognitive problem-solving thinking. In B. B. Lahey & A. E. Kazdin (Eds.), Advances in child clinical psychology (Vol. 5, pp. 323–372 ). New York: Plenum Press.
- Urbain, E. S., & Kendall, P. C. (1980). Review of social-cognitive problem-solving interventions with children. Psychological Bulletin, 8, 109–143. CrossRef
- Weissberg, R. P., & Gesten, E. L. (1982). Considerations for developing effective school-based social problem-solving training programs. School Psychology Review, 11, 56–63.
- Weissberg, R. P., Gesten, E. L., Carnrike, C. L., Toro, P. A., Rapkin, B. D., Davidson, E., & Cowen, E. L. (1981). Social problem-solving skills training: A competence building intervention with second to fourth-grade children. American Journal of Community Psychology, 9, 411–423. CrossRef
- Weissberg, R. P., Gesten, E. L., Liebenstein, N. L., Doherty-Schmid, K., & Hutton, H. (1980). The Rochester social problem-solving (SPS) program: A training manual for teachers of 2nd-4th grade children. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester.
- Weissberg, R. P., Gestern, E. L., Rapkin, B. D., Cowen, E. L., Davidson, E., Flores de Apodaca, R., & McKim, B. J. (1981). The evaluation of a social problem-solving training program for suburban and inner-city third-grade children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 49, 251–261. CrossRef
- Weissberg, R. P., Hawkins, J. A., & Krauss, D. H. (1985). The evaluation of a social problem-solving intervention with middle-school children. Unpublished manuscript, Yale University, New Haven, CT.
- Winer, J. I., Hilpert, P. L., Gesten, E. L., Cowen, E. L., & Schubin, W. E. (1982). The evaluation of a kindergarten social problem-solving program. Journal of Primary Prevention, 2, 205–216. CrossRef
- Winter, J. T. (1982). An evalution of a planned short-term intervention approach for children with school adjustment problems. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY.
- Designing Effective Social Problem-Solving Programs for the Classroom
- Book Title
- Children’s Peer Relations: Issues in Assessment and Intervention
- Book Part
- Part IV
- pp 225-242
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.