An Analysis of the Social Behavior of Three Groups of Propithecus verreauxi
Download Chapter (1,896 KB)
An 18-month study of the social organization and ecology of Propithecus verreauxi was carried out in Madagascar between May 1970 and September 1971. Two groups were studied in the mixed deciduous and evergreen forests of the Ankarafantsika in the northwest of Madagascar and two in the Didierea forest which covers large tracts in the south. The two study areas and the ecology of groups of P. verreauxi occupying them have been described by Richard (1973, 1974a, and in press).
- Gartlan, J. S., 1968, Structure and function in primate society, Folia Primatol. 8: 89–120. CrossRef
- Heimbuch, R., and Richard, A., 1974, An analysis of patterns of dispersion in a group of Propithecus verreauxi, in preparation.
- Itani, J., 1963, The social construction of national troops of Japanese monkeys in Tak- asakiyama, Primates 4 (3): 1–42. CrossRef
- Jolly, A., 1966, Lemur Behavior, Chicago University Press, Chicago.
- Mizuhara, H., 1964, Social changes of Japanese monkey troops in Takasakiyama, Primates 4: 27–52. CrossRef
- Petter, J.-J., and Peyrieras, A., 1974, A study of population density and home range of Indri indri in Madagascar, in: Prosimian Biology ( R. D. Martin, G. A. Doyle, and A. C. Walker, eds.), Duckworth, London.
- Richard, A., 1973, The social organization and ecology of Propithecus verreauxi, Ph.D. thesis, London University.
- Richard, A., in press. Feeding behaviour in Propithecus verreauxi, in: Primate Feeding Behaviour (T. Clutton-Brock, ed.), Academic Press, London.
- Richard, A., 1974a, Intra-specific variation in the social organization and ecology of Propithecus verreauxi, Folia Primatol., 22 (2–3): 178–207. CrossRef
- Richard, A., 1974b, Patterns of mating in Propithecus verreauxi, in: Prosimian Biology (R. D. Martin, G. A. Doyle, A. C. Walker, eds.), Duckworth, London.
- Rowell, T. E., 1969, Long-term changes in a population of Ugandan baboons, Folia Primatol. 11: 241–254. CrossRef
- Sparks, J., 1967, Allogrooming in Primates: A review, in: Primate Ethology ( D. Morris, ed.), Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London.
- Stoltz, L. P., and Saayman, G. S., 1970, Ecology and social organization of chacma baboon troops in the northern Transvaal, Ann. Transvaal Mus. 26: 499–599.
- Van Lawick-Goodall, J., 1968, The behavior of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve, A nim. Behav. Monogr. 1: 161–311.
- Zuckerman, S., 1932, The Social Life of Monkeys and Apes, K. Paul, Trench, Trubner and Co., London.
- An Analysis of the Social Behavior of Three Groups of Propithecus verreauxi
- Book Title
- Lemur Biology
- Book Part
- Part IV
- pp 313-333
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anthropology, American Museum of Natural History
- 2. Department of Anthropology, Washington University
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Department of Anthropology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.