Quantum Yield of a Photochemical Reaction
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It can be said that the foundation of photobiology is photochemistry. Photochemical reactions involve “bimolecular” interactions between a light quantum and a molecule, as well as the subsequent chemical and physical changes which result from this interaction. Light is always one of the initial reactants in a photochemical process. Photophysical processes are transitions which interconnect excited states with each other or excited states with the ground state, via radiative and/or radiationless processes. Photochemical processes, on the other hand, are transitions from an electronically excited state that yield structures of different configurations than the reactant ground state.
- Braslavsky, S.Ε. and H.J Kuhn (1987) IUPAC Commission on photochemistry: Project chemical actinometers. IAPS Newsletter, May, pp. 27–45.
- Calvert, J.G. and J.N. Pitts Jr., (1966) Experimental methods in photochemistry, Photochemistry, Chapter 7, pp. 686–814. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Grossweiner, L.I. and K.C. Smith (1989) Photochemistry, In The Science of Photobiology, 2nd edition, (Edited by K.C. Smith ), pp. 47–78. Plenum Press, New York.
- Holick, M.F., J.A. MacLaughlin, M.B. Clark, S.A. Holick, J.T. Potts Jr., R.R. Anderson, I.H. Blank, J.A. Parrish and P. Elias (1980) Photosynthesis of previtamin D3 in human skin and the Physiologic Consequences. Science, 210, 203–205. CrossRef
- Jacobs, Η. J.C., F. Boomsma, E. Havinga and A. van der Gen (1977) The photochemistry of previtamin D and tachysterol. Rec. J. Roy. Netherlands Chem. Soc. 94, 113–118.
- MacLaughlin, J.A., R.R. Anderson and M.F. Holick (1982) Spectral Character of Sunlight modulates photosynthesis of previtamin D3 and its photoisomers in human skin. Science, 216, 1001–1003. CrossRef
- Rodgers, M.A.J. (1988) Primary photochemical processes. In Photosensitisation: Molecular, Cellular and Medical Aspects. (Edited by G. Moreno, R.H. Pottier and T.G. Truscott ), pp. 11–18. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg.
- Turro, N.J. (1978) Modern Molecular Photochemistry. The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., Inc. Don Mills, Ontario.
- Quantum Yield of a Photochemical Reaction
- Book Title
- Photobiological Techniques
- pp 45-57
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- NATO ASI Series
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Series A: Life Sciences
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Plenum Press, New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. The University of Kansas Medical Center
- 2. The Royal Military College of Canada
- 3. CEN Saclay
- 4. The City University
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, The Royal Military College of Canada, K7K 5L0, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.