Liberal Peacebuilding and Transitional Justice: What Place for Socioeconomic Concerns?
- Chandra Lekha SriramAffiliated withSchool of Law, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London Email author
Recent scholarship in transitional justice has increasingly acknowledged that both the practice and study of justice in transition have focused almost exclusively upon violations of civil and political rights, and particularly of bodily integrity, to the relative exclusion of violations of economic, social, and cultural rights. This chapter examines one dimension of this emergent discussion, arguing that the exclusion of “socioeconomic concerns” derives in part from the degree to which many contemporary transitional justice processes are embedded in or shaped by liberal peacebuilding missions. It argues that as peacebuilding operations focus primarily upon democratization and marketization, they might be expected to focus upon the creation or restoration of core civil and political rights. Further, such operations may either overlook or be unable to respond to demands to address socioeconomic concerns, which may conflict with imperatives of marketization. The chapter calls for caution in response to calls for transitional justice to address socioeconomic concerns, given that the former is already overburdened with expectations and may not be well suited to respond to the latter.
- Liberal Peacebuilding and Transitional Justice: What Place for Socioeconomic Concerns?
- Book Title
- Justice and Economic Violence in Transition
- pp 27-49
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Springer Series in Transitional Justice
- Series Volume
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Dustin N. Sharp (2)
- Editor Affiliations
- 2. Kroc School of Peace Studies, University of San Diego
- Author Affiliations
- 3. School of Law, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London, WC1H 0XG, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.