Women in Physiology
Since the early years of the American Physiological Society (APS, the Society) there have been women in physiology. The first woman member of APS, Ida Hyde, was elected in 1902. One of her papers, the result of work done in William T. Porter’s laboratory at Harvard Medical School, appeared in the first volume of the American Journal of Physiology in 1898. Through the first seventy-five years of the Society’s history, women were regularly elected members, participated on programs, and published in the Society’s journals. However, not until the 1970s, when the role of women in the sciences became of general concern (5), did they begin to take an important role in the management of the Society.
- Berne, R. M. Proposed new bylaw for election of officers. Physiologist 17: 2–5, 1974.
- Dill, D. B. Caroline tum-Suden. Physiologist 20 (5): 14, 1977.
- GuTtman, R. Biographical notice—Caroline turn Suden. Physiologist 23 (6): 25–26, 1980.
- Ricoeur, P. Response to Tidball “Views from the sciences.” Natl. Inst. Campus Ministries’ 6: 46, 1981.
- Russo, N. F., And M. M. Cassidy. Women in science and technology. In: Sage Yearbooks in Women’s Policy Studies. Women in Washington: Advocates for Public Policy, edited by I. Tinker. Beverly Hills, CA: Tinker. 1983, vol. 7, p. 250–262.
- Tidball, M. E. Report of the Task Force on Women in Physiology. Physiologist 17: 135–137, 1974.
- Tidball, M. E. Women in the biosciences—a brief primer. Physiologist 18: 1–36, 1975.
- Tidbali, M. E. A brief history of the Task Force on Women in Physiology (Aps). Physiologist 23 (5): 12–13, 1980.
- Women in physiology. Physiologist 23 (6): 25–26, 1980.
- Women in physiology. Physiologist 24 (3): 45–46, 1981.
- Women in physiology. Physiologist 26: 135–136, 1983.
- Women in Physiology
- Book Title
- History of the American Physiological Society
- Book Subtitle
- The First Century, 1887–1987
- pp 381-390
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- American Physiological Society
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.