Criminal Justice System in India
- R. Thilagaraj Ph.D.
- … show all 1 hide
The Union of India is a Federal Polity consisting of different states. The states have their own powers and functioning under the Constitution of India. The Police and Prison are the state subjects. However, the Federal laws are followed by the Police, Judiciary, and Correctional Institutes. The system followed in India for dispensation of criminal justice is the adversarial system of common law inherited from the British Colonial Rulers. This paper explains the structure, powers, and functioning of the three vital agencies of the Criminal Justice Administration of India, namely, the Police, Judiciary, and Correctional Administration. This paper also explains the community-based corrections, Juvenile Justice System, and Intervention of Apex Court for effecting the function in the Criminal Justice System in India.
- Criminal Justice System in India
- Book Title
- Handbook of Asian Criminology
- Book Part
- Part II
- pp 199-211
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Sociology, University of Macau
- 2. Centre for Criminology and Criminal Just, University of Manchester
- 3. School of Criminology, National Taipei University
- Author Affiliations
- 4. Department of Criminology, University of Madras, Chennai, 600 005, Tamil Nadu, India
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.