Texas A&M Department of Statistics
- Simon J. SheatherAffiliated withDepartment of Statistics, Texas A&M University Email author
- , Jennifer SouthAffiliated withDepartment of Statistics, Texas A&M University
The Department of Statistics was formed in 1962 as the Graduate Institute of Statistics with the mandate of providing statistical research, consulting, and instruction for Texas A&M University. The Institute was authorized from its inception to grant MS and Ph.D. degrees. Herman Otto Hartley arrived in the fall of 1963, and was the Institute’s first Director. In the 1980s the Institute became the Department of Statistics under the leadership of William B. Smith. In 2012, the Department has grown to a faculty with 34 tenure/tenure track positions and 5 lecturers. Since its inception, there have been nearly 500 MS degrees and 300 PhD degrees awarded.
- Texas A&M Department of Statistics
- Book Title
- Strength in Numbers: The Rising of Academic Statistics Departments in the U. S.
- pp 301-316
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. , Statistics Department, University of Florida
- ID2. , Statistics Department, Harvard University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Statistics, Texas A&M University, 3143 TAMU, College Station, TX, 77843-3143, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.