Regulation of Human B Cell Growth
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The study of human B cell function involves examination of the events leading to maturation of B cells from B lineage lymphoid progenitor cells as well as the stages of activation, proliferation and differentiation which mature resting B lymphocytes must undergo to become immunoglobulin producing plasma cells [1–3]. In human B cell physiology (as opposed to murine B cell physiology) there appear to be molecules which act only at specific stages to induce either activation, proliferation or differentiation. However, as in murine B cell physiology, there are also molecules which can act at various stages. Antigen or anti-Ig will activate cells while B cell growth factors (BCGFs) [4–8] will induce their proliferation and B cell differentiation factors including interleukin-6 (IL-6) [9–11] will induce their differentiation. IL-2 in high concentrations can induce activation , proliferation, and differentiation  of human lymphocytes. In the next section, we will discuss some of our work examining the action of BCGFs in the regulation of normal human B cell proliferation.
- Dutton RW, Falkoff R, Hurst JA, Hoffman M, Kappler JW, Ketmann JR, Lesley JR (1971) Is there evidence for a non-antibody specific diffusable chemical mediator from the thymus-derived cell in the initiation of the immune response? Prog Immunol 1: 355.
- Kishimoto T, Miyake T, Nishizawa Y, Watanabe T, Yamamura Y (1975) Triggering mechanism of B lymphocytes. I. Effect of anti-immunoglobulin and enhancing soluble factor on differentiation and proliferation of B cells. J Immunol 1555: 1179.
- Ambrus JL Jr, Jurgensen CH, Bowen DL, Tomita S, Nakgawa T, Nakagawa N, Goldstein H, Witzel NL, Mostowski HS, Fauci AS (1987) The activation, prolif-eration, and differentiation of human B lymphocytes. Adv Exp Med Biol 213: 163. CrossRef
- Ambrus JL Jr, Jurgensen CH, Brown EJ, Fauci AS (1985) Purification to homogeneity of a high molecular weight human B cell growth factor, demonstration of specific binding to activated B cells, and development of a monoclonal antibody to the factor. J Exp Med 162: 1319. CrossRef
- Mehta SR, Conrad D, Sandler R, Morgan J, Montagna R, Maizel AL (1985) Purification of human B cell growth factor. J Immunol 135: 3298.
- Gordon J, Guy GR (1987) The molecules controling B lymphocytes. Immunol Today 8: 339. CrossRef
- Delfraissay JD, Wallen C, Vazquez A, Dugas B, Dormant J, Galanaud P (1986) B cell hyperactivity in systemic lupus erythematosus: selectively enhanced responsiveness to a high molecular weight B cell growth factor. Eur J Immunol 16: 1251. CrossRef
- Butler JL, Ambrus JL Jr, Fauci AS (1984) Characterization of monoclonal B cell growth factor ( BCGF) produced by a human T-T hybridoma. J Immunol 133: 251.
- Kishimoto T, Yoshizaki K, Kimoto M, Okada M, Kuritani T, Kikutani H, Shimizu K, Nakagawa T, Nakagawa N, Miki Y, Kishi H, Fukunaga K, Yoshikubo T, and Tag T (1984) B cell growth and differentiation factors and mechanism of B cell activtion. Immunol Rev 78: 97. CrossRef
- Goldstein H, Volkman DJ, Ambrus JL Jr, Fauci AS (1985) Characterization of a T4+/Leu8+ T cell clone that directly helps B cell Ig production by secreting B cell differention factor. J Immunol 135: 339.
- Hirano T, Yasukawa K, Horada H, Taga T, Watanabe Y, Matsuda T, et al (1986) Complementary DNA for a novel interleukin (BSF-2) that induces B lymphocyts to produce immunoglobulin. Nature 324: 73–6. CrossRef
- Le thi Bich Thuy, Lane HC, Fauci AS (1986) Recombinant interleukin-2 induced polyclonal proliferation of in vitro unstimulated human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Cell Immunol 98: 396–410. CrossRef
- Waldmann TA, Goldman CK, Robb RJ, Depper JM, Leonard WJ, Sharrow SO, Bongiovanni KF, Korsmeyer SJ, Greene WG (1984) Expression of interleukin-2 receptors on activated human B cells. J Exp med 160: 14–50. CrossRef
- Greaves MF (1986) Differentiation-linked leukoemogenesis in lymphocytes. Science 234: 697–704. CrossRef
- Aman P, Ehln-Henriksson B, Klein G (1984) Epstein Barr virus susceptibility of normal human B lymphocyte populations. J Exp Med 157: 208–20. CrossRef
- Muraguchi A, Fauci AS (1982) Proliferative responses of normal human B lymphocytes. Development of an assay for human B cell growth factor ( BCGF ). J Immunol 129: 1104.
- Ambrus JL Jr, Fauci AS (1985) Human B lymphoma cell line producing B cell growth factor. J Clin Invest 75: 732–9. CrossRef
- Ambrus JL Jr, Fauci AS (1987) Current studies examining regulation of the human B cell cycle. In: Webb DR, Pierce CW, Cohen S (eds) Molecular basis of lymphokine action, Clifton, New Jersey: Humana Press, 137–148. CrossRef
- Ambrus JL Jr, Jurgensen CH, Brown EJ, McFarland P, Fauci AS (1988) Identification of a receptor for high molecular weight B cell growth factor. J Immunol 141: 660.
- McFarland P, Ambrus JL Jr, Mostowski H, Fauci AS (1988) Phosphorylation of membrane proteins by activated human B lymphocytes in response to a high molecular weight B cell growth factor. Fed proc 2: A165 (7869).
- Young KR Jr, Ambrus JL Jr, Chesky L, Chused T, Fauci AS (1988) Heterogeneity of transmembrane signaling pathways triggered by human B lymphocyte activating agents. Fed Proc 2: A1230 (5429).
- Ambrus JL Jr, Chesky L, McFarland P, Young KR, Jr, Brown EJ, Peters M, Uckun F, Ledbetter J, Fauci AS (1988) High molecular weight B cell growth factor (HMW-BCGF) activtes two distinct pathways of inracellular signaling in SAC-activated human B lymphocytes. Fed Proc 2: A1466 (6796).
- Ambrus JL Jr, Chused T, Uckun FM, Young KR Jr, Fauci AS (1988) Human B cell growth factors induce calcium fluxes in different subpopulations of activated human B lymphocytes. Manuscript in review.
- Furth J (1953) Conditoned and autonomous neoplasms: a review. Cancer Res 13: 477–92.
- Uckun FM, Fauci AS, Heerema NA, Song CW, Mehta SR, Gajl-Peczalska KJ, Chandan M, Ambrus JL Jr (1987) B-cell growth factor receptor expresion and B cell growth factor response of leukemic B cell precursors and B lineage lymphoid progenitor cells. Blood 70: 1020–34.
- Uckun FM, Meyers D, Fauci AS, Ambrus JL Jr (1988) Leukemic B cell precursors constitutively express function receptors for human IL-1. Manuscript in review.
- Uckun FM, Fauci AS, Chandon M, Ambrus JL Jr (1988) Detection and characterization of human B cell growth factor receptors on leukemic B cells in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Manuscript in review.
- Regulation of Human B Cell Growth
- Book Title
- Experimental Hematology Today—1988
- Book Subtitle
- Selected Papers from the 17th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Experimental Hematology August 21–25, 1988, Houston, Texas, USA
- Book Part
- Part I
- pp 6-9
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Experimental Hematology Today—1988
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. International Society for Experimental Hematology
- 2. Bone Marrow Transplantation Section, Department of Hematology, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- 3. Section of Natural Immunity, Department of General Surgery, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- 4. Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.