The Meaning of the Lunar Laser Ranging Experimental Results for Gravitational Theory
- K. Nordtvedt Jr.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The theoretical significance for gravitation of the lunar laser ranging experimental results (see Alley, 1982, in this volume, for a summary of these and for additional references) can be stated at several different conceptual levels. These include:
a highly accurate Eötvüs experiment;
“Gravity pulls on gravity;”
measuring gravity’s non-linearity; and
confirming General Relativity’s post-Newtonian gravitational vector potential and full non-linear potential.
- Alley, C. O., 1982, Laser ranging to retro-reflectors on the moon as a test of theories of gravity, in “Quantum Optics, Experimental Gravitation, and Measurement Theory,” P. Meystre and M. O. Scully, Eds., Plenum, New York.
- Braginsky, V. B., and Panov, V. I., 1971, Verification of the equivalence of inertial and gravitational mass, Zh. Eksp. al Teor. Fiz. 61:873. English translation in Sov. Physics - JETP Lett. 10: 280 (1973).
- King, R. W., 1982, Private communication.
- Nordtvedt, K., 1968a, Equivalence principle for massive bodies. I. Phenomenology, Phys. Rev. 169: 1014–1017.
- Nordtvedt, K., 1968b, Equivalence principle for massive bodies. II. Theory, Phys. Rev. 169: 1017–1025. CrossRef
- Nordtvedt, K., 1968c, Testing relativity with laser ranging to the moon, Phys. Rev. 170: 1186–1187. CrossRef
- Nordtvedt, K., 1971, Equivalence principle for massive bodies. IV. Planetary orbits and modified Eotvos type experiments, Phys. Rev., D3: 1683–1689.
- Nordtvedt, K., 1976, Anisotrophic parameterized post-Newtonian gravitational metric field, Phys. Rev. D4: 1511–1517.
- Nordtvedt, K., 1982, The fourth test of general relativity, Rep. Prog. Phys. 45, No. 6: 631–651. CrossRef
- Nordtvedt, K., and Will, C. M., 1972, Conservation laws and preferred frames in relativistic gravity. II. Experimental evidence to rule out preferred-frame theories of gravity, Astrophys. J., 177: 775–792. CrossRef
- Roll, P. G., Krotkov, R., Dicke, R. H., 1964, The equivalence of inertial and passive gravitational mass, Ann. Phys. ( N.Y. ), 26: 442–517. CrossRef
- Will, C. M., 1971, Theoretical frame-works for testing relativistic gravity. II. Parameterized post-Newtonian hydrodynamics and the Nordtvedt effect, Astrophys. J. 163: 611–628. CrossRef
- Will, C. M., and Nordtvedt, K., 1972, Conservation laws and preferred frames in relativistic gravity. I. Preferred frame theories and an extended PPN formation, Astrophys. J., 177: 757–774. CrossRef
- Williams, J. G., 1982, Private communication.
- The Meaning of the Lunar Laser Ranging Experimental Results for Gravitational Theory
- Book Title
- Quantum Optics, Experimental Gravity, and Measurement Theory
- pp 497-502
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- NATO Advanced Science Institutes Series
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.