The Meaning of the Lunar Laser Ranging Experimental Results for Gravitational Theory
- K. Nordtvedt Jr.
- … show all 1 hide
The theoretical significance for gravitation of the lunar laser ranging experimental results (see Alley, 1982, in this volume, for a summary of these and for additional references) can be stated at several different conceptual levels. These include:
a highly accurate Eötvüs experiment;
“Gravity pulls on gravity;”
measuring gravity’s non-linearity; and
confirming General Relativity’s post-Newtonian gravitational vector potential and full non-linear potential.
- Alley, CO (1982) Laser ranging to retro-reflectors on the moon as a test of theories of gravity, in Quantum Optics, Experimental Gravitation, and Measurement Theory, P. Meystre and M. O. Scully, Eds.. Plenum, New York
- Braginsky, VB, Panov, VI (1971) Verification of the equivalence of inertial and gravitational mass. Sov. Physics - JETP Lett. 10: pp. 280
- King, RW (1982) Private communication.
- Nordvedt, K (1968a) Equivalence principle for massive bodies. I. Phenomenology, Phys. Rev. 169: pp. 1014-1017
- Nordtvedt, K (1968b) Equivalence principle for massive bodies. II. Phys. Rev. 169: pp. 1017-1025 CrossRef
- Nordtvedt, K (1698c) Testing relativity with laser ranging to the moon. Phys. Rev. 170: pp. 1186-1187 CrossRef
- Nordtvedt, K (1971) Equivalence principle for massive bodies. IV. Planetary orbits and modified Eotvos type experiments. Phys. Rev. 3: pp. 1683-1689
- Nordtvedt, K (1976) Anisotrophic parameterized post-Newtonian gravitational metric field. Phys. Rev. 4: pp. 1511-1517
- Nordtvedt, K (1982) The fourth test of general relativity, Rep. Prog. Phys 45: pp. 631-651 CrossRef
- Nordtvedt, K, Will, CM (1972) Conservation laws and preferred frames in relativistic gravity. II. Experimental evidence to rule out preferred-frame theories of gravity. Astrophys. J. 177: pp. 775-792 CrossRef
- Roll, PG, Krotkov, R, Dicke, RH (1964) The equivalence of inertial and passive gravitational mass. Ann. Phys. 26: pp. 442-517 CrossRef
- Will, CM (1971) Theoretical frame-works for testing relativistic gravity. II. Parameterized post-Newtonian hydrodynamics and the Nordtvedt effect. Astrophys. J. 163: pp. 611-628 CrossRef
- Will, CM, Nordtvedt, K (1972) Conservation laws and preferred frames in relativistic gravity. I. Preferred frame theories and an extended PPN formation. Astrophys. J. 177: pp. 757-774 CrossRef
- Williams, JG (1982) Private communication.
- The Meaning of the Lunar Laser Ranging Experimental Results for Gravitational Theory
- Book Title
- Quantum Optics, Experimental Gravity, and Measurement Theory
- pp 497-502
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- NATO Advanced Science Institutes Series
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.