Physical and chemical properties of fly ash from coal-fired power plants with reference to environmental impacts
- A. L. PageAffiliated withDepartment of Soil and Environmental Sciences, University of California
- , Ahmed A. ElseewiAffiliated withDepartment of Soil and Environmental Sciences, University of California
- , I. R. StraughanAffiliated withResearch and Development, Southern California Edison Co.
Interest in coal residue research has recently been increased with anticipated increased dependence on coal as a source of energy. United States coal reserves are estimated at 3.6 trillion metric tons, from which 396 billion metric tons can economically be mined (Swanson et al. 1976). United States electric power utilities consume from 60 to 65% of the amount of coal produced (Brackett 1973). In 1974, the power industry utilized approximately 400 million tons of coal (Ash at Work 1975). The magnitude of trace element mobilization into the environment from fossil-fuels is substantial and is comparable to that originating from major sedimentary cycles such as river flows and natural sediments (Bertine and Goldberg 1971). Consequently, increasing regulatory measures have been imposed on power industries by federal and local authorities restricting the amount of coal residue entering the atmosphere.
- Physical and chemical properties of fly ash from coal-fired power plants with reference to environmental impacts
- Book Title
- Residue Reviews
- Book Subtitle
- Residues of Pesticides and Other Contaminants in the Total Environment
- pp 83-120
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Residue Reviews
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Entomology, University of California
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Department of Soil and Environmental Sciences, University of California, Riverside, CA, 92521, USA
- 3. Research and Development, Southern California Edison Co., 2244 Walnut Grove, Rosemead, CA, 91770, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.