Computer Simulation of Cracking in a Large Arch Dam Downstream Side Cracking
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The history of downstream side cracking of Kölnbrein dam and theories attempting to explain it are described. The stability, trajectory, and opening of the downstream crack are computed and favorably compared to observations. The significant implication of this study is that classical fracture mechanics theory, implemented through modern computer simulation techniques, can be used to explain cracking events in concrete arch dams. This capability can prove valuable in designing against such events, or in specifying effective repair procedures.
- Baustaedter, K.; Widmann, R.: The Behavior of the Kölnbrein Arch Dam. 15th ICOLD, Lausanne, 2, 633–651 (1985).
- Baustaedter, K.: Die Koelnbreinsperre aus heutiger Sicht. Erstes Christian Veder Kolloquium, TU-Graz, Nov. 1985.
- Linsbauer, H. N.; Rossmanith, H. P.: On Slow Stable Cracking of Gravity Dams — a Photo-elastic/FEM Analysis, ÖIAZ, Juli 1986.
- Ingraffea, A. R.; Saouma, V.: Numerical Modelling of Discrete Crack Propagation in Reinforced and Plain Concrete, in Fracture Mechanics of Concrete — Structural Application and Numerical Calculation, Sih, G. C.; DiTommaso, A.; Eds., Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Dordrecht, 1985.
- Gerstle, W.: Finite and Boundary Element Modelling of Crack Propagation in Two- and Three-Dimensions Using Interactive Computer Graphics. Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University, 1986.
- Perucchio, R.: An Integrated Boundary Element analysis System with Interactive Computer Graphics for Three-Dimensional Linear-Elastic Fracture Analysis. Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University, 1984.
- Erdogan, F.; Sih, G. C.: On the Crack Extension in Plates Under in Plane Loading and Transverse Shear. J. Basic Engrg., ASME, Vol. 85, 519–527, 1963.
- Computer Simulation of Cracking in a Large Arch Dam Downstream Side Cracking
- Book Title
- Fracture of Concrete and Rock
- Book Subtitle
- SEM-RILEM International Conference June 17–19, 1987, Houston, Texas, USA
- pp 334-342
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. NSF Science and Technology Center for Advanced Cement-Based Materials, Northwestern University
- 2. Department of Civil Engineering, Kansas State Univeristy/Seton Hall
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Department of Structural Engineering and Program of Computer Graphics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
- 4. Institute for Large Dams and Hydraulic Structures, Univ. of Technology, Vienna, Austria
- 5. Institute of Mechanics, University of Technology, Vienna, Austria
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.