The Dynamically Tuned Gyroscope
- Anthony Lawrence
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In the 1940s engineers in Scotland designed a gyro that used a spinning flywheel on a universal (Hooke’s) joint (Figure 9.1). The gyro was surprisingly unstable, and Arnold and Maunder at the University of Edinburgh showed that the dynamic inertia effects of the gimbal in the universal joint were responsible.
- Howe, E.W., P.H. Savet, “The dynamically tuned free rotor gyro,” Control Engineering, pp. 67–72, June 1964.
- Craig, R.J.G., “Theory of operation of an elastically supported tuned gyroscope,” and “Theory of errors of a multigimbal, elastically supported tuned gyroscope,” IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, AES-8, 3, pp. 280–297, May 1972. CrossRef
- Willems, P.Y. (Ed.), Gyrodynamics, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1974. Includes: Maunder, L., “Some designs and features of dynamically tuned gyroscopes”; Fogarasy, A.A., “A contribution to the dynamics of a spring restrained Hooke’s joint gyroscope”; Lawrence, A.W., “A simulation of a dynamically tuned gyroscope.”
- Karnik, H., “Experience based upon experimental dry tuned gyros,” DGON Symposium Gyro Technology, Stuttgart, 1979. Contributes useful insights into the causes of low time constant.
- Craig, R.J.G., “Dynamically tuned gyros in strapdown systems,” AGARD Conference on Inertial Navigation Computers and Systems, Florence, Italy, Oct. 1972.
- Albrecht, W.G., “Errors of DTGs on acceleration induced mistuning and rotor axis tilt,” DGON Symposium Gyro Technology, 1983.
- Haberland, R., “Some design criteria of elastic universal joints for dry tuned gyroscopes,” DGON Symposium Gyro Technology, Stuttgart, 1977.
- Carroll, R., “Dynamically tuned gyroscope,” in Ragan, R.R. (Ed.) “Inertial technology for the future,” IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems AES-20, 4, pp. 414–444, July 1984.
- Beardmore, G., “The design and development of a novel strapdown DTG incorporating a gas bearing and fabricated flexure hinge,” DGON Symposium Gyro Technology, Stuttgart, 1984.
- Shimoni, U., “Tamam miniature gyro,” DGON Symposium Gyro Technology, Stuttgart, 1983.
- Karnick, H., “Effects of hinge improvements on design and production cost of a dynamically tuned gyro,” DGON Symposium Gyro Technology, Stuttgart, 1978.
- Joos, D.K., “Comparison of typical gyro errors for strapdown applications,” DGON Symposium Gyro Technology, 1977.
- The Dynamically Tuned Gyroscope
- Book Title
- Modern Inertial Technology
- Book Subtitle
- Navigation, Guidance, and Control
- pp 131-151
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Mechanical Engineering Series
- Series ISSN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Anthony Lawrence (4)
- Author Affiliations
- 4. 32 Sunny Hill Road, Lunenberg, MA, 01462, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.