Trajectory Sensitivity Theory in Nonlinear Dynamical Systems: Some Power System Applications
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Trajectory sensitivity analysis (TSA) has been applied in control system problems for a long time in such areas as optimization and adaptive control. Applications in power systems in conjunction with Lyapunov/transient energy functions first appeared in the 1980s. More recently, TSA has found applications on its own by defining a suitable metric on the trajectory sensitivities with respect to the parameters of interest. In this chapter we present theoretical as well as practical applications of TSA for dynamic security applications in power systems. We also discuss the technique to compute critical values of any parameter that induces stability in the system using trajectory sensitivities.
- G. L. Wilson and P. Zarakas, “Anatomy of a blackout,” IEEE Spectrum vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 38–46, Feb. 1978.
- O. Alsac and B. Stott, “Optimal load flow with steady state security,” IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus and Systems, vol. PAS-93, pp. 745–754, 1974. CrossRef
- M. A. Pai, Energy Function Analysis for Power System Stability Kluwer, Norwell, MA, 1989. CrossRef
- A. A. Fouad and V. Vittal Power System Transient Stability Analysis Using the Transient Energy Function Method Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1991.
- H. D. Chiang, C. C. Chu, and G. Cauley, “Direct stability analysis of electric power system using energy functions: Theory, applications, and perspective,” Proc. IEEE, vol. 83, no. 11, pp. 1497–1529, Nov. 1995. CrossRef
- M. Pavella, D. Ernst, and D. Ruiz-Vega, Transient Stability of Power Systems: A Unified Approach to Assessment and Control, Kluwer, Norwell, MA, 2000.
- K. W. Chan, A. R. Edwards, R. W. Dunn, and A. R. Daniels, “On-line dynamic security contingency screening using artificial neural networks,” IEE Proc. Generation, Transmission, and Distribution, vol. 147, no. 6, pp. 367–372, Nov. 2000. CrossRef
- Y. Mansour, E. Vaahedi, and M. A. El-Sharkawi, “Dynamic security contingency screening and ranking using neural networks,” IEEE Trans. Neural Networks vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 942–950, July 1997. CrossRef
- T. B. Nguyen, Dynamic Security Assessment of Power Systems using Trajectory Sensitivity Approach, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2002.
- T. B. Nguyen and M. A. Pai, “Dynamic security-constrained rescheduling of power systems using trajectory sensitivities,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, to appear.
- H. You, V. Vittal, and Z. Yang, “Self-healing in power systems: An approach using islanding and rate of frequency decline based load shedding,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, to appear.
- P. M. Frank, Introduction to System Sensitivity Theory, Academic Press, New York, 1978.
- M. Eslami, Theory of Sensitivity in Dynamic Systems, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1994.
- H. W. Bode Network Analysis and Feedback Amplifier Design Van Nostrand, New York, 1945.
- R. Tomovic, Sensitivity Analysis of Dynamic Systems, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1963.
- R. Tomovic and M. Vukobratovic, General Sensitivity Theory, Elsevier, New York, 1972.
- J. B. Cruz, Jr., Ed., System Sensitivity Analysis, Dowden, Hutchingson and Ross, Stroudsburg, PA, 1973.
- G. C. Verghese, I. J. Perez-Arriaga, and F. C. Scheweppe, “Selective modal analysis with applications to electric power systems, Part I and II,” IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus and Systems, PAS-101, pp. 3117–3134, Sept. 1982. CrossRef
- M. J. Laufenberg and M. A. Pai, “A new approach to dynamic security assessment using trajectory sensitivities,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 953–958, Aug. 1998. CrossRef
- I. A. Hiskens and M. Akke, “Analysis of the Nordel power grid disturbance of January 1, 1997 using trajectory sensitivities,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 987–994, Aug. 1999. CrossRef
- I. A. Hiskens and M. A. Pai, “Trajectory sensitivity analysis of hybrid systems,” IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems Part I: Fundamental Theory and Applications vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 204–220, Feb. 2000. CrossRef
- T. B. Nguyen, M. A. Pai, and I. A. Hiskens, “Sensitivity approaches for direct computation of critical parameters in a power system,” Int. J. Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 337–343, 2002. CrossRef
- P. W. Sauer and M. A. Pai, Power System Dynamics and Stability, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1998.
- K. R. Padiyar, Power System Dynamics Stability and Control, BS Publications, Hyderabad, India, 2002.
- N. G. Hingorani and L. Gyugyi, Understanding FACTS Concepts and Technology of Flexible AC Transmission Systems, IEEE Press, New York, 2000.
- D. Gan, R. J. Thomas, and R Zimmerman, “Stability-constrained optimal power flow,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 15, pp. 535–540, May 2000. CrossRef
- D. Chaniotis, M. A. Pai, and I. A. Hiskens, “Sensitivity analysis of differential-algebraic systems using the GMRES method—Application to power systems,” Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems pp.117–120, Sydney, Australia, May 2001.
- C. Singh and I. A. Hiskens, “Direct assessment of protection operation and non-viable transients,” IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 427–434, Aug. 2001. CrossRef
- F. Dobraca, M. A. Pai, and P. W. Sauer, “Relay margins as a tool for dynamical security analysis,” Int. J. Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 226–234, Oct. 1990. CrossRef
- J. S. Thorp and A. G. Phadke, “Protecting power systems in the post-restructuring era,” IEEE Computer Applications in Power vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 33–37, Jan. 1999. CrossRef
- P. Kundur, Power System Stability and Control McGraw-Hill, New York, 1994.
- A. N. Michel and B. Hu, “Toward a stability theory of general hybrid dynamical systems,” Automatica vol. 35, pp. 371–384,1999. CrossRef
- Trajectory Sensitivity Theory in Nonlinear Dynamical Systems: Some Power System Applications
- Book Title
- Stability and Control of Dynamical Systems with Applications
- Book Subtitle
- A Tribute to Anthony N. Michel
- Book Part
- Part III
- pp 271-292
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Control Engineering
- Birkhäuser Boston
- Copyright Holder
- Birkhäuser Boston
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.