The Use of External Fixators in the Acute Management of Tibial Pilon Fractures
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A pilon fracture is a fracture into the articular surface of the distal tibia. The complexity of this injury and problem in its treatment are detailed in a fascinating monograph by the French radiologist Chaput. His name is memorialized in the eponym “Chaput’s tubercle” for the important anterolateral corner of the distal tibia, which contains the origin of the anteroinferior tibiofibular ligament – the cinch for the tibiofibular syndesmosis . Reassembly of the distal articular surface is detailed in Lambotte’s books on fracture fixation . It was, however, not until the Swiss Fracture group began their historic systematic approach to the operative treatment of fractures that the “pilon fracture” was categorized and regularly repaired surgically.
- Chaput HV. Les fractures malléolaires du cou-de-pied et les accidents du travail. Paris, 1907.
- Lambotte A. Chirurgie opératoire des fractures. Paris: Masson & Cie Éditeurs; 1913.
- Muale G, Seligson D. Fractures through the distal weight-bearing surface of the tibia. Orthopedics. 1980;3:517–21.
- Ruedi TP, Allgower M. Fractures of the lower end of the tibia into the ankle joint. Injury. 1969;1(2):92–9. CrossRef
- Smith W. Letters to the editor. Re: surgical options for the treatment of severe tibial pilon fractures: a story of three techniques. J Orthop Trauma. 2001;15(8):591. CrossRef
- Blauth M, Bastian L, Krettek C, Knop C, Evans S. Surgical options for the treatment of severe tibial pilon fractures: a study of three techniques. J Orthop Trauma. 2001;15(3):153–60. CrossRef
- Mauffrey C, Klutts P, Seligson D. Surgical techniques: how I do it? Mini open reduction and fixation of calcaneal fractures with fine wire circular frames. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2010. doi:10.1007/s00590-010-0678-5.
- Mauffrey C, Klutts P, Seligson D. The use of circular fine wire frames for the treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures. J Orthop Traumatol. 2009;10(1):9–15. CrossRef
- Alt V, Nawab A, Seligson D. Bone grafting from the proximal tibia. J Trauma Injury Infect Crit Care. 1999;47(3):555–7. CrossRef
- Mauffrey CP, Seligson D, Krikler S. Surgical techniques: how I do it? Bone graft harvest from the proximal lateral tibia. Injury. 2010;41(2):242–4. CrossRef
- Newman SDS, Mauffrey CPC, Krikler S. Distal metadiaphyseal tibial fractures. Injury. 2010;41(7):693–702. CrossRef
- David Volgas J, DeVries G, Stannard JP. Short-term financial outcomes of pilon fractures. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010;49(1):47–51. CrossRef
- The Use of External Fixators in the Acute Management of Tibial Pilon Fractures
- Book Title
- External Fixation in Orthopedic Traumatology
- pp 131-142
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer London
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag London Limited
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. , Department of Orthopaedics, University of Louisville
- ID2. , Department of Orthopediaedics, University of Louisville
- ID3. , Department of Orthopaedics, University of Louisville
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.