Pin Track Infection and the Principles of Pin Site Care
There are many complications of external fixation but by far the most common and most troublesome is pin track infection.1,4,7,10,11 It is inevitable that where a pin or screw penetrates into a limb and remains in this position for some considerable time, some degree of pin track infection will occur unless extreme care is taken to prevent it. For this reason there has hitherto been a reluctance to use external fixation where alternative methods of internal fixation are available.
- De Bastiani G, Aldgheri R, Renzi-Brivio L. ‘The treatment of fractures with a dynamic axial joint fixator’ J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1984; 66B: 538–545.
- Benum P, Svennigsen S. ‘Tibial Fractures Treated with Hoffman’s External Fixation’ Acta Orthop Scand 1982; 53:471–476. CrossRef
- Burny FL .‘ Elastic Fixation of Tibial Fractures: a study of 1421 cases.’ in: Brooker AF, Edwards CC. (eds) External Fixation: the Current State of the Art 1979Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore.
- Checketts RG, Moran CG, Jennings AG. ‘134 Tibial Shaft Fractures Managed With the Dynamic Axial Fixator.’ Acta Orthop Scand 1995; 66(3): 271–274. CrossRef
- Checketts RG, Otterburn M, MacEachern AG. ‘Pin Track Infection: definition, incidence and prevention.’ Suppl. Int J Orth Trauma 1993; 3 (3): 16–18.
- Court-Brown C, Hughes SPF. ‘Experience with the Suktian-Hughes external fixation system.’ J Roy Soc Med 1982; 75: 949–957.
- Edge AJ, Denham RA. ‘External Fixation For Complicated Tibial Fractures.’ J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1981; 63B: 92–97.
- Edwards CC. ‘Management of the polytrauma patient in a major US centre.’ in Brooker AF, Edwards CC, (eds) External fixation: the current state of the art. 1979 Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore
- Green SA. Complications of External Fixation. Causes, prevention and treatment 1981 (Thomas, Springfield: Illinois).
- Melendez EM, Colon C. ‘Treatment of Open Tibial Fractures With the Orthofix Fixator.’ Clin Orthop. 1989; 241: 224–230.
- MacEachern AG. ‘External Fixation: past, present and future.’ in Bunker TD, Colton CL, Webb JK. (eds) Frontiers in Fracture Management 1989 Martin Dunitz: London.
- Noordeen MHH, Lavy CBD, Shergill NS, Tuite JD, Jackson AM. ‘Cyclical Micromovement and Fracture Healing.’ J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 1995; 77: 645–648.
- Pin Track Infection and the Principles of Pin Site Care
- Book Title
- Orthofix External Fixation in Trauma and Orthopaedics
- Book Part
- Part II
- pp 97-103
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer London
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag London
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.