Composite Sampling of Soils and Sediments
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has set reporting requirements for polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) spills and views PCB spills as improper disposal of PCBs. The EPA has determined that PCB spills must be controlled and cleaned up. Components of the cleanup process may include, among other things, sampling and analysis to determine the materials spilled. The level of action required is dependent on the amount of spilled liquid, PCB concentration, spill area and dispersion potential, and potential human exposure. A sampling design is proposed by Boomer et al. (1985) for use by EPA enforcement staff. The proposed design involves sampling on a hexagonal grid which is centered on the spill site and extends just beyond its boundaries. Compositing strategies, in which several samples are pooled and analyzed together, are recommended.
- Boomer, B. A., Erickson, M. D., Swanson, S. E., Kelso, G. L., Cox, D. C., and Schultz, B. D. (1985). Verification of PCB spill cleanup by sampling and analysis. EPA Contract No. 68-02-6938, TC 8501-A37.
- Boswell, M. T. and Patil, G.P. (1990). Composite sampling using spatial autocorrelation for Palmerton hazardous waste site: A preliminary report. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Superfund Hazardous Waste: Statistical Issues in Characterizing a Site: Protocols, Tools, and Research Needs, H. Lacayo, R. J. Nadeau, G. P. Patil, and L. Zaragoza, eds. USEPA Statistical Policy Branch, Washington DC. pp. 20–42.
- Elder, R. S., Thompson, W. O., and Myers, R. H. (1980). Properties of composite sampling procedures. Technometrics 22:179–186. CrossRef
- Gore, S. D., Patil, G. P., and Taillie, C. (1992). Studies on the applications of composite sample techniques in hazardous waste site characterization and evaluation: II. Onsite surface soil sampling for PCB at the Armagh Site. 92–0305.
- Mason, B. J. (1982). Preparation of soil sampling protocol: techniques and strategies. ETHURA, McLean, VA, under subcontract to Environmental Research Center, University of Nevada, for U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Las Vegas, NV.
- Matern, B. (1960). Spatial variation. Medd for Statens Skogsforskings Institut 49:1–144.
- Rohde, C. A. (1976). Composite sampling. Biometrics 32:273–282. CrossRef
- Rossmann, R. (1988). Estimation of trace metal storage in Lake St. Clair post-settlement sediments using composite samples. J. Great Lakes Res. 14:66–75. CrossRef
- Composite Sampling of Soils and Sediments
- Book Title
- Composite Sampling
- Book Subtitle
- A Novel Method to Accomplish Observational Economy in Environmental Studies
- pp 209-225
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Environmental and Ecological Statistics
- Series Volume
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Statistical Ecology and Environmental Statistics, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, 421D Thomas Bldg, USA
- 2. Department of Statistics, University of Pune, Pune, Ganeshkhind, India
- 3. Center for Statistical Ecology and Environmental Statistics, Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, 421C Thomas Bldg, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.