Visco-Elastic Models for Soft Tissues
The simplest, and much utilized (despite its numerous shortcomings), model for soft tissue is based on the assumption of a linear elastic medium, although there is substantial evidence to suggest that soft tissue is, in fact, visco-elastic in nature. Here we discuss the simple and direct inclusion of visco-elastic concepts into descriptions of soft tissue. The two most elementary linear visco-elastic mechanical models (Maxwell and Kelvin-Voigt) are discussed. The wave equations for pressure propagation in these media are derived and their absorption and velocity dispersion characteristics are examined. One interesting feature is that explicit pulsed wave solutions may be derived in some cases. Another finding is that absorptive behavior may be characterized in a relative efficient manner, without recourse to the usual frequency-dependent description. The extent to which these media can be regarded as suitable for tissue modeling purposes is investigated. The incorporation of scattering into these models may be effected in the usual manner, except that scattering by absorption fluctuations is also predicted.
- Y. C. Fung, Biomechanics: Mechanical Properties of Living Tissue, 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag (1993).
- Leeman, S. (1980) Ultrasound Pulse Propagation in Dispersive Media. Physics in Medicine and Biology 25: pp. 481 CrossRef
- L. Hutchins, S. Leeman, & J. P. Jones, “Bounded Pulse Propagation,” in Acoustical Imaging, 10, P. Alais & A. Metherell (eds), Plenum Press, 427 (1981).
- S. Leeman & A. Peyman, “The Maxwell Model as a Soft Tissue Descriptor,” in Acoustical Imaging , 25, M. Halliwell & P. N. T. Wells (eds), Kluwer/ Plenum, 357 (2000).
- P. M. Morse & K. U. Ingard, Theoretical Acoustics, McGraw-Hill, 400 (1968).
- S. Leeman, R. Leeks, & P. Sutton, “Information Processing in Medical Imaging,” in Les Colloques de I’INSERM, 88, R. Di Paola & E. Kahn (eds), INSERM, 35, (1979).
- E. Nolan, Reflection of Acoustic Waves From a Discontinuity in Absorption, MS Thesis, University of California Irvine (1988).
- Visco-Elastic Models for Soft Tissues
- Book Title
- Acoustical Imaging
- pp 369-376
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Acoustical Imaging
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Kelvin-Voigt model
- Maxwell model
- Absorption scattering
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.