Ruthenium Tris-bypyridine/Zeolite-Y/Titanium Dioxide Nano-Assembly: ‘Ship-in-a-Bottle’ Synthesis and Application in Heterogeneous Photodegradation of 2,4-xylidine
The synthetic route followed in the encapsulation of [Ru(bpy)32+ in ZeoliteY is referred to as “ ship-in-a-bottle ” synthesis due to non-extractability of the [Ru(bpy)3]2+ complex, once encapsulation has taken place within the cages of the zeolite Y. Nanoparticles of TiO2 was then introduced through TiCl3 in ethylene glycol mixture under argon, with sintering at 200 ° C. Spectroscopic, surface, and electrochemical characterization confirmed the presence of [Ru(bpy)3]2+ complex within the cages of zeolite Y, and nanoparticles of TiO 2 in its cages.
The amount of TiO2 was varied, and the assembly was tested for its photocata-lytic activity using degradation of 2,4-xylidine as test reaction probe. The decrease in the concentration of xylidine and the corresponding increase in oxalate concentration were monitored through HPLC. A pseudo-first order kinetics was observed in the photodegradation process based on the Langmuir-Hinshelwood mechanism. An inverse correlation was observed between the kinetic rate constant and the obtained Light-Induced Optoacoustic Spectroscopy (LIOAS) frequency maxima.
Enhanced rate of photodegradation observed with the use of new and efficient photocatalyst such as [Ru(bpy)3]2+TiO2 co-doped Zeolite Y may pave the way for development of large-scale advanced oxidation processes for other pollutant system.
- Bossmann, S.H., Turro, C., Schnabel, C., Pokhrel, M.R., Payawan, L.M., Baumeister, B., Woerner, M. (2001) J. Phys. Chem. B. 105: pp. 5374-5382 CrossRef
- Bossmann, S.H., Jockusch, S., Schwarz, P., Baumeisters, B., Gob, S., Schnabel, C., Payawan, L M., Pokhrel, M.R., Worner, M., Baraun, A.M., Turro, N.J. (2003) Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 2: pp. 477 CrossRef
- Ruthenium Tris-bypyridine/Zeolite-Y/Titanium Dioxide Nano-Assembly: ‘Ship-in-a-Bottle’ Synthesis and Application in Heterogeneous Photodegradation of 2,4-xylidine
- Book Title
- Innovations in Chemical Biology
- pp 171-173
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Ruthenium tris-bypyridine
- Titanium Dioxide
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Bilge Şener (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Gazi University
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Institute of Chemistry, University of the Philippines, Diliman, 1101 Q.C., Philippines
- 3. Lehrstuhl für Umweltmesstechnik, Universität Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, 76128, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.