The loop reactor for cultivating yeast on n-paraffin substrate
- Reinhold SeipenbuschAffiliated withVEBA-Chemie AG, Werksgruppe Herne
- , Heinz BlenkeAffiliated withInstitut für Chemische Verfahrenstechnik, Universität Stuttgart
-large mass-transfer rate for oxygen and substrate at low energy input;
-the reactor must be capable of being constructed and operated in large units;
-a simple and robust design, which is characterized by low construction costs, easy to keep sterile, low maintenance costs, and a high on-stream availability.
The loop reactor, especially the jet loop reactor, is examined with regard to its suitability as a bioreactor; in this context the O2 transfer, the substrate transfer, the necessary energy input and the flow pattern are dealt with. The optimal operating conditions (minimum energy input) regarding O2 conversion and jet power input under consideration of a favorable flow pattern are presented. It is shown that the controllability of the reactor meets the requirements of the culture.
As an example of economically optimal SCP production, the cultivation of yeast on n-paraffin substrate is analysed.
- The loop reactor for cultivating yeast on n-paraffin substrate
- Book Title
- Advances in Biochemical Engineering, Volume 15
- pp 1-40
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Advances in Biochemical Engineering
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.