How to use sorting procedures to minimize DFA
- Barbara Schubert
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we introduce a new idea, which can be used in minimization of a deterministic finite automaton. Namely, we associate names with states of an automaton and we sort them. We give a new algorithm, its correctness proof, and its proof of execution time bound. This algorithm has time complexity O(n 2 log n) and can be considered as a direct improvement of Wood's algorithm  which has time complexity O(n3), where n is the number of states. Wood's algorithm checks if pairs of states are distinguishable. It is improved by making better use of transitivity. Similarly some other algorithms which check if pairs of states are distinguishable can be improved using sorting procedures.
- J. A. Brzozowski, H. Jürgensen: A model for Sequential Machine Testing and Diagnosis, Journal of Electronic Testing: Theory and Applications 3 (1992), 219–234.
- J. E. Hopcroft: An n log n algorithm for minimizing the states in a finite automaton, in: Z. Kohavi, ed., The Theory of Machines and Computations, Academic Press, New York, 1971, 189–196.
- J. E. Hopcroft, J. D. Ullman: Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation, Addison-Wesley, New Jersey, March 1979.
- B. Schubert: How to Use Sorting Procedures to Minimize DFA, MSc Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Western Ontario, in preparation.
- B. W. Watson: Taxonomies and Toolkits of Regular Language Algorithms, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, 1995.
- D. Wood: Theory of Computation, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1987.
- How to use sorting procedures to minimize DFA
- Book Title
- Automata Implementation
- Book Subtitle
- First International Workshop on Implementing Automata, WIA '96 London, Ontario, Canada, August 29–31, 1996 Revised Papers
- pp 159-166
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.