Parallel implementation of image reconstruction for the CARABAS long-wave penetrating radar
CARABAS (Coherent All RAdio BAnd Sensing) is a new type of radar that has the unique property of being able to penetrate through vegetation, and to some extent into upper levels of soil depending on water content. This can be done by using long radar waves in the range 3–15 meters, and new algorithms for image reconstruction from information in reflected radar waves. These algorithms are related to methods used for computer tomography, and are very computationally expensive. Two classes of algorithms for image reconstruction are direct Fourier methods and filtered backprojection. Even though filtered backprojection is more computationally demanding, we chose that method since it is easier to parallelize, it has better real-time properties, and it is easier to compensate for disturbances and achieve good image quality.
In this paper we report results from the first parallel implementation of the CARABAS algorithms. The benchmarking was done on a Parsytec PowerGC MIMD computer with 128 PowerPC 601 processors. We come close to achieving the real-time requirement for significant parts of the computation.
- Hans Hellsten. Inverse scattering analysis of diffraction limited SAR. IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, 38(10):1517–1522, October 1990.
- Hans Hellsten and Lars-Erik Andersson. An inverse method for the processing of synthetic aperture radar data. Inverse Problems, (3):111–124, 1987.
- A. Kak and M. Slaney. Principles of computerized tomographic imaging. IEEE Press, 1988.
- Parallel implementation of image reconstruction for the CARABAS long-wave penetrating radar
- Book Title
- High-Performance Computing and Networking
- Book Subtitle
- International Conference and Exhibition HPCN EUROPE 1996 Brussels, Belgium, April 15–19, 1996 Proceedings
- pp 327-332
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.