Computer neuropsychological training in mentally retarded children
Informatic tecnology can be the right answer to deal with some neuropsychological troubles of children. The goal of this study is the application of computer programs as a possible strategy in rehabilitation of children with cognitive problems. Four programs were selected to stimulate various basic brain functions: problem solving, categorization, logical sequence and spatial thought. The programs were tested on a group of 20 mentally retarded young subjects matched with a comparison group of 20 like subjects trained with ordinary techniques. The computer trained group showed a significant improvement in tests involving attention, motivation for learning and problem solving abilities. These results, in our opinion, would confirm the usefulness of specific software as a rehabilitative method in dealing with cognitive problems of children.
- Castellan N.J. (1993) Evaluating information technology in teaching and learning Behavior Research Methods, Instruments & Computers 44, 6
- Castelli E., Piccinelli P., Borgatti R., Reni G., Moretti M., (1991) Facilitazioni informatiche per lo sviluppo di competenze neuropsicologiche nel grave disabile motorio. Saggi Anno XVII, 1, 31–36
- Corradini E., Tressoldi PE., Pellegrini A., Ciot C., (1993) L'analisi del software educativo finalizzata ad una programmazione riabilitativa mirata. Edizioni La Nostra Famiglia
- Fedrizi E., DalBrun A., Rivala A., Schiaffino A., Fronticelli G. Castelli E., Belloni G. (1993) Indicazioni e limiti all'use del personal computer per il grave tetraplegico in età scolare. Giornale di Neuropsichiatria dell'età evolutiva. 13, 2, 129–140
- Ferlazzo F., Conte S., Gentilomo A., (1993) Event-Related Potentials and recognition memory: the effect of word imagery value. International Journal of Psychophysiology 15, 115–122.
- Merteus D. M., et al (1992) Combining Cognitive learning theory and computer assisted instruction deaf learners. American Annals of the Deaf. 137, 399–403
- Ross F. L. (1992) The use of Computers in Occupational Therapy for Visual — Scanning training. American Journal of Occupational Therapy 46, 314–322
- Skinner A. D., Trachtman L.H. (1985) Use of a computer program in cognitive rehabilitation. American Journal of Occupational Therapy., 39, 7, 470–472.
- Weiss.P. (1990) The integration of Computers into the occupational Therapy Department. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 44, 6, 527–534.
- Computer neuropsychological training in mentally retarded children
- Book Title
- Computers for Handicapped Persons
- Book Subtitle
- 4th International Conference, ICCHP '94 Vienna, Austria, September 14–16, 1994 Proceedings
- pp 336-341
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.