A compiler with scheduling for a specialized synchronous multiprocessor system
This paper presents an algorithm for scheduling parallel activities in a specialized synchronous multiprocessor system. The algorithm is being implemented as a part of a cross-compiler for an extended parallel Single Instruction Computer (SIC). A SIC machine may contain multiple arithmetic processors, each associated with certain addresses in the address space.
The scheduling cross-compiler initially derives a schedule including information about the number and types of processors necessary for the highest possible degree of parallelism for the code in each basic block. If too few arithmetic processors are available, a schedule for a smaller number of processors can be generated. Code generation and scheduling is presented for a one page program example in Pascal. For this example, a speedup of a factor of seven was obtained for the multiprocessor system, compared to the Intel 80286 processor, and assuming the same clock cycle time.
- Azaria, H., Tabak, D. (1980) Bit-Sliced Realization of a CMOVE Architecture Microcomputer. EUROMICRO Journal 6: pp. 373-380
- Azaria, H., Tabak, D. (1983) Design Consideration of a Single-Instruction Microcomputer — A Case Study. Microprocessing and Microprogramming 11: pp. 187-194
- Blazek, Z., Kroha, P. (1987) Design of a Reconfigurable Parallel RISC Machine. EUROMICRO'87, Portsmouth. Microprocessing and Microprogramming 21: pp. 39-46
- Fisher,J.A.,Ellis,J.R.,Ruttenberg,J.C.,Nicolau,A.: Parallel Processing: A Smart Compiler and a Dumb Machine. In:Proceeding of the Compiler Construction, pp.37–47, Association for Computing Machinery, June 1984.
- Fritzson, P. (1983) Symbolic Debugging Through Incremental Compilation in an Integrated Environment. The Journal of Systems and Software 3: pp. 285-294
- Fritzson,P.: A Common Intermediate Representation for C, Pascal, Modula-2 and FORTRAN-77. LITH-IDA-R-86-38, Research Report, PELAB, December 1986, University of Linköping.
- Kessler,P.B.: The Portable C Compiler's Intermediate Representation, as Used by the Berkeley Pascal Front-End for the VAX. (An unpublished paper).
- Kroha,P.: Design of a Code Generator by Help of a PROLOG-Database. Proceedings of the Workshop Compiler Compilers and Incremental Compilation, Bautzen, October 1986, in: IIR, 12/86, AdW.
- Kroha,P.: Code Generation for a RISC Machine. Proceedings of CCHSC'88, Berlin, GDR, October 1988. In Lecture Notes on Computer Science 371, Springer Verlag.
- Kroha,P.: An Extension of the Single Instruction Machine Idea. LITH-IDA-R-89-25, Research Report, PELAB, June 1989, Department of Computer Science, Linköping University, Sweden.
- Kuck, D.J., Muraoka, Y., Chen, S.C. (1972) On the Number of Operation Simultaneously Executable in Fortran-like Programs and their Resulting Speedup. IEEE Transactions on Computers C-21: pp. 1293-1310
- Kuck, D.J. (1978) The Structure of Computers and Computations. John Wiley and Sons, New York
- Lipovski,G.J.: The Architecture of a Simple, Effective, Control Processor. EUROMICRO'76, in: Microprocessing and Microprogramming, pp.7–18, North-Holland, 1976.
- Milutinovic,V.M.: RISC Architecture. Tutorials, EUROMICRO'86, North-Holland.
- Morse,S.P.,Albert,D.J.: The 80 286 Architecture. John Wiley & Sons, 1986.
- Namjoo,M.,Agrawal,A.: Implementing SPARC: A High-Performance 32-Bit RISC Processor. Sun Technology, Winter 1988.
- Patterson,D.A.,Sequin,C.H.: A VLSI RISC. IEEE Computer, September 1982.
- Polychronopoulos,C.D.: Parallel Programming and Compilers. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1988.
- Sedwick,R.: Algorithms. Addison-Wesley, Second edition, pp.350–351, 1988.
- Tabak, D., Lipovski, G.J. (1980) MOVE Architecture in Digital Controllers. IEEE Trans. Compul C-29: pp. 180-190
- Tabak,D.: RISC Architecture. Research Studies Press, John Wiley & Sons, 1987.
- A compiler with scheduling for a specialized synchronous multiprocessor system
- Book Title
- Compiler Compilers
- Book Subtitle
- Third International Workshop, CC '90 Schwerin, FRG, October 22–24, 1990 Proceedings
- pp 132-146
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.