An Interactive Story Engine
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This document describes an approach to story description that allows an agent to dynamically control the plot of a story in a computer game. The way of describing stories that is used is based on Vladimir Propp’s work on the structure of folktales. This work is modified for use in a case-based planning and constraint satisfaction system that controls the character agents in a story world and tries to make them follow a coherent plot and react consistently with the player’s actions.
- Meehan, J.: The metanovel: writing stories on computer. University microfilms international, 1977.
- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/oz/web/: The OZ project at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh.
- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~michaelm/nidocs/ A site with many Narrative Intelligence papers.
- Michael Mateas, Phoebe Sengers: Narrative Intelligence, 1999.
- Rizzo P., Veloso M.V., Miceli M., Cesta A: Goal-based Personalities and Social Behaviors in Believable Agents.
- Michael Mateas, Andrew Stern: Towards Integrating Plot and Character for Interactive Drama, 1999.
- Michael Mateas, Andrew Stern: Towards building a fully-realised interactive drama. http://www.stg.brown.edu/conferences/DAC/subs_in/Mateas.html, 2001.
- Kahn M.: Creation of Computer Animation from story descriptions. PhD thesis, AI lab, MIT, 1979.
- Vladimir Propp: Morphology of the Folktale, 1968.
- Sean Smith and Joseph Bates: Towards a Theory of Narrative for Interactive Fiction, CMU-CS-89-121, 1989.
- W. Scott Reilly and Joseph Bates: Building Emotional Agents, CMU-CS-92-143, 1992.
- Umberto Eco: Six Walks in the Fictional Woods Harvard University Press, 1994.
- An Interactive Story Engine
- Book Title
- Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science
- Book Subtitle
- 13th Irish Conference, AICS 2002 Limerick, Ireland, September 12–13, 2002 Proceedings
- pp 171-176
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Science and Information Systems, University of Limerick
- Author Affiliations
- 4. ML group, CS Dept., Trinity College Dublin, Dublin
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.