Parameterized Verification of Multithreaded Software Libraries
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The growing popularity of multi-threading has led to a great number of software libraries that support access by multiple threads. We present Local/Global Finite State Machines (LGFSMs) as a model for a certain class of multithreaded libraries. We have developed a tool called Beacon that does parameterized model checking of LGFSMs. We demonstrate the expressiveness of LGFSMs as models, and the effectiveness of Beacon as a model checking tool by (1) modeling a multithreaded memory manager Rockall developed at Microsoft Research as an LGFSM, and (2) using Beacon to check a critical safety property of Rockall.
- P. A. Abdulla, K. Cerans, B. Jonsson, and T. Yih-Kuen. General decidability theorems for infinite-state systems. LICS’ 96: 11th IEEE Symp. Logic in Computer Science, pages 313–321, July 1996.
- P. A. Abdulla and B. Jonsson. Ensuring completeness of symbolic verificatiom methods for infinite-state systems. Theoretical Computer Science, 1997.
- Thomas Ball, Sagar Chaki, and Sriram K. Rajamani. Parameterized verification of multithreaded software libraries. Technical Report MSRTR-2000-116, Microsoft Research, December 2000.
- T. Ball and S. K. Rajamani. Bebop: A symbolic model checker for boolean programs. SPIN 00: SPIN Workshop, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1885, pages 113–130. Springer-Verlag, 2000.
- T. Ball and S. K. Rajamani. Boolean programs: A model and process for software analysis. Technical Report MSR-TR-2000-14, Microsoft Research, February 2000.
- James Corbett, Matthew Dwyer, John Hatcliff, Corina Pasareanu, Robby, Shawn Laubach, and Hongjun Zheng. Bandera: Extracting finite-state models from Java source code. ICSE 2000: International Conference on Software Engineering, 2000.
- G. Delzanno. Automatic Verification of Parameterized Cache Coherence Protocols. CAV 00: Computer Aided Verification, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1855, pages 53–68. Springer-Verlag, 2000. CrossRef
- J. Esparza and M. Nielsen. Decibility issues for petri nets-a survey. Journal of Informatik Processing and Cybernetics, 30(3):143–160, 1994.
- E. A. Emerson and K. S. Namjoshi. Automatic Verification of Parameterized Synchronous Systems. CAV 96: Computer Aided Verification, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1102, pages 87–98. Springer-Verlag, 1996.
- A. Finkel. Reduction and covering of infinite reachability trees. Information and Computation, 89:144–179, 1990. CrossRef
- A. Finkel. The minimal coverability graph for petri nets. Advances in Petri Nets, Lecture Notes in Computer Sceince, 674:210–243, 1993.
- A. Finkel and Ph. Schnoebelen. Well-structured transition systems everywhere! Theoretical Computer Science, 2000. To appear.
- S. M. German and A. P. Sistla. Reasoning about systems with many processes. JACM, 39(3), July 1992.
- K. Havelund and T. Pressburger. Model checking Java programs using JavaPathFinder. STTT: International Journal on Software Tools for Technology Transfer, 2(4), April 2000.
- R. M. Karp and R. E. Miller. Parallel program schemata. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 3:147–195, 1969.
- R. J. Lipton. The reachability problem requires exponential space. Technical report, Department of Computer Science, Yale University, 1976.
- K.L. McMillan. http://www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/~kenmcmil.
- C. Petri. Fundamentals of a theory of asynchronous information flow. Information Processing 62, Proceedings of the 1962 IFIP Congress, pages 386–390, 1962.
- C. Rackoff. The covering and boundedness problem for vector addition systems. Theoretical Computer Science, 6:223–231, 1978. CrossRef
- G. Ramalingam. Context sensitive synchronization sensitive analysis is undecidable. Technical Report RC21493, IBM T.J.Watson Research, May 1999.
- Parameterized Verification of Multithreaded Software Libraries
- Book Title
- Tools and Algorithms for the Construction and Analysis of Systems
- Book Subtitle
- 7th International Conference, TACAS 2001 Held as Part of the Joint European Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software, ETAPS 2001 Genova, Italy, April 2–6, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 158-173
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Lehrstuhl für Programmiersysteme, Universität Dortmund
- 5. Department of Information Technology, Uppsala University
- Author Affiliations
- 6. Microsoft Research, USA
- 7. Carnegie Melon University, USA
- 8. Microsoft Research, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.