On-Line Stream Merging, Max Span, and Min Coverage
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper introduces the notions of span and coverage for analyzing the performance of on-line algorithms for stream merging. We show that these two notions can solely determine the competitive ratio of any such algorithm. Furthermore, we devise a simple greedy algorithm that can attain the ideal span and coverage, thus giving a better performance guarantee than existing algorithms with respect to either the maximum bandwidth or the total bandwidth. The new notions also allow us to obtain a tighter analysis of existing algorithms.
- C. C. Aggarwal, J. L. Wolf, and P. S. Yu. On optimal piggyback merging policies for video-on-demand systems. In Proc. ACM Sigmetrics, pages 200–209, 1996.
- A. Bar-Noy, J. Goshi, R. E. Ladner, and K. Tam. Comparison of stream merging algorithms for media-on-demand. In Proc. Conf. on Multi. Comput. and Net. (MMCN), pages 115–129, 2002.
- A. Bar-Noy and R. E. Ladner. Competitive on-line stream merging algorithms for media-on-demand. In Proc. 12th ACM-SIAM SODA, pages 364–373, 2001.
- Y. Cai, K. A. Hua, and K. Vu. Optimizing patching performance. In Proc. Conf. on Multi. Comput. and Net. (MMCN), pages 204–215, 1999.
- S. W. Carter and D. D. E. Long. Improving bandwidth efficiency of video-on-demand. Computer Networks, 31(1–2):99–111, 1999.
- W. T. Chan, T. W. Lam, H. F. Ting, and W. H. Wong. Competitive analysis of on-line stream merging algorithms. In Proc. 27th MFCS, pages 188–200, 2002.
- W. T. Chan, T. W. Lam, H. F. Ting, and W. H. Wong. A unified analysis of hot video schedulers. In Proc. 34th ACM STOC, pages 179–188, 2002.
- W. T. Chan, T. W. Lam, H. F. Ting, and W. H. Wong. On-line stream merging in a general setting. Theoretical Computer Science, 296(1):27–46, 2003. CrossRef
- E. Coffman, P. Jelenkovic, and P. Momcilovic. The dyadic stream merging algorithm. Journal of Algorithms, 43(1), 2002.
- D. Eager, M. Vernon, and J. Zahorjan. Bandwidth skimming: A technique for coste effective video-on-demand. In Proc. Conf. on Multi. Comput. and Net. (MMCN), pages 206–215, 2000.
- D. Eager, M. Vernon, and J. Zahorjan. Minimizing bandwidth requirements for on-demand data delivery. IEEE Tran. on K. and Data Eng., 13(5):742–757, 2001. CrossRef
- L. Golubchik, J. C. S. Lui, and R. R. Muntz. Adaptive piggybacking: A novel technique for data sharing in video-on-demand storage servers. ACM J. of Multi. Sys., 4(3):140–155, 1996. CrossRef
- K. A. Hua, Y. Cai, and S. Sheu. Patching: A multicast technique for true video-on-demand services. In Proc. 6th ACM Multimedia, pages 191–200, 1998.
- S. W. Lau, J. C. S. Lui, and L. Golubchik. Merging video streams in a multimedia storage server: Complexity and heuristics. ACM J. of Multi. Sys., 6(1):29–42, 1998. CrossRef
- S. Sen, L. Gao, J. Rexford, and D. Towsley. Optimal patching schemes for efficient multimedia streaming. In Proc. 9th Int. W. on Net. and OS Support for Digital Audio and Video, pages 44–55, 1999.
- P. W. H. Wong. On-line Scheduling of Video Streams. PhD thesis, The University of Hong Kong.
- On-Line Stream Merging, Max Span, and Min Coverage
- Book Title
- Algorithms and Complexity
- Book Subtitle
- 5th Italian Conference, CIAC 2003, Rome, Italy, May 28–30, 2003. Proceedings
- pp 70-82
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Dipartimento di Infornatica, Università di Roma “La Sapienza”
- 5. Dipartimento di Infornatica ed Applicazioni “R.M. Capocelli”, Università di Salerno
- Author Affiliations
- 6. Department of Computing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- 7. Department of Computer Science, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.