A Transaction Processing Model for the Mobile Data Access System
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Advances in wireless networking technology and portable computing devices have led to the emergence of a new computing paradigm known as mobile computing and a number of applications. As a result, software applications have to be redesigned to take advantage of this environment while accommodating the new challenges posed by mobility.
As mobile users wander about, they are bound to encounter a variety of different information sources (databases) that are often autonomous and heterogeneous in nature. Such a collection of autonomous and heterogeneous database is often known as a multidatabase. The existing multidatabase systems do not readily support mobile computing. A new class of multidatabase that provides access to a large collection of data via a wireless networking connection is proposed—a Mobile Data Access System (MDAS). Within the scope of MDAS, a new transaction-processing model is proposed that allows timely and reliable access to heterogeneous and autonomous data sources while coping with the mobility issue. The proposed model extends the existing multidatabase system without any adverse effect to the preexisting local and global users. This is accomplished through the implementation of multi tiered mobile transaction proxies that manage the execution of mobile transactions on behalf of the mobile user. The proposed transaction-processing model is simulated and the results are analyzed.
- R. Alonso and H. F. Korth. Database System Issues in Nomadic Computing. ACM SIGMOD Conference on Management of Data, pp. 388–392, 1993.
- B. R. Badrinath, et al. Structuring Distributed Algorithms for Mobile Hosts. Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 21–38, 1994.
- D. Bell and J. Grimson. Distributed Database Systems. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1992.
- P. Bhagwat and C. E. Perkins. A Mobile Networking System Based on Internet Protocol. symposium on Mobile and Location Independent Computing, 1993.
- Y. Breitbart, H. Garcia-Molina and A. Silberschatz. Overview of Multidatabase Transaction Management. VLDB 1(2): 181–239, 1992. CrossRef
- M. W. Bright, A. R. Hurson and S. Pakzad. Automated Resolution of Semantic Heterogeneity in Multidatabases. ACM TODS, 19(2): 212–253, 1994. CrossRef
- P. Chrysanthis. Transaction Processing in Mobile Computing Environment. Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Systems, pp. 77–82, 1993.
- R. A. Dirckze and L. Gruenwald. Nomadic Transaction Management. IEEE Potentials, 17(2): 31–33, 1998. CrossRef
- M. H. Durham, A. Helal and S. Balakrishnan. A Mobile Transaction Model that Captures both the Data and Movement Behavior. Mobile Network Applications 2(2): 149–162, 1997. CrossRef
- G. H. Forman and J. Zahorjan. The Challenges of Mobile Computing. IEEE Computer Volume: 27(4): 38–47, 1994.
- J. Ioannidis, D. Duchamp, and G. O. Maguire. IP-based Protocols for Mobile Internetworking. ACM SIGCOMM Symposium, pp. 235–245, 1991.
- L. Lamport. Time, clocks and the Ordering of Events in Distributed Systems. Communications of the ACM, 21: 558–565, 1978. CrossRef
- J. B. Lim, A. R. Hurson and K. M. Kavi. Concurrent Data Access in Mobile Heterogeneous Systems. Hawaii Conference on System Sciences, 1999.
- S. K. Madria and B. Bhargava. A Transaction Model for Mobile Computing. Database and Engineering Applications Symposium, pp. 92–102, 1998.
- K. Norvag, O. Sandsta and K. Bratbergsengen. Concurrency Control in Distributed Object-Oriented Database Systems. Proceedings of ADBIS, 1997.
- R. Rajagopalan, S. Alagar and S. Venkatesan. MCE: An Integrated Mobile Computing Environment and Simulation Test bed. USENIX symposium on Mobile and Location Independent Computing, 1995.
- A. P. Sheth and J. Larson. Federated Database Systems for Managing Dist. Heterogeneous & Autonomous Databases. Computer, 22(3): 183–236, 1990.
- M. Wu and C. Lee. On Concurrency Control in Multidatabase Systems. Computer Software and Applications Conference, pp. 386–391, 1994.
- X. Ye and J. A. Keane. A Distributed Transaction Management Scheme for Multidatabase Systems. International Trends in Electronics, 1: 397–401, 1994.
- L. H. Yeo and A. Zaslavsky. Submission of Transaction from Mobile Workstations in Cooperative Multidatabase Processing Environment. Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 372–379, 1994.
- V. Zwass. Structure and Macro-Level Impacts of Electronic Commerce: From Technological Infrastructure to Electronic Marketplaces. Foundations of Information Systems: [http://www.mhhe.com/business/mis/zwass/ecpaper.html]
- A Transaction Processing Model for the Mobile Data Access System
- Book Title
- Parallel Computing Technologies
- Book Subtitle
- 6th International Conference, PaCT 2001 Novosibirsk, Russia, September 3–7, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 112-127
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Victor Malyshkin (4)
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Supercomputer Software Department, ICMand MG SB RAS
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Computer Science and Engineering Department, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 16802, USA
- 6. School of Information Sciences and Technologies, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 16802, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.