Interpretation of Compound Nominals Using WordNet
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We describe an approach to interpreting noun-noun compounds within a question answering system. The system’s lexicon, based on WordNet, provides the basis for heuristics that group noun-noun compounds with seman- tically similar words. The semantic relationship between the nouns in a com- pound is determined by the choice of heuristic for the compound. We discuss procedures for selecting one heuristic in cases where several can apply to a compound, the effects of lexical ambiguity, and some initial results of our methods.
- Finin, T.W. (1980). The Semantic Interpretation of Compound Nominals, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Fellbaum, Christiane (ed.) (1998). WordNet: An Electronic Lexical Database, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Hobbs, Jerry R., Mark E. Stickel, Douglas E. Appelt, and Paul Martin (1993). “Interpretation as Abductionl”., Artificial Intelligence, 63:1–2, pp. 69–142. CrossRef
- Rieger, C.J. III (1974). “Conceptual Memory: A Theory and Computer Program for Processing the Meaning Content of Natural Language Utterancesll”. Memo AIM-233, Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, Stanford University.
- Vanderwende, Lucretia H. (1995). The Analysis of Noun Sequences using Semantic Information Extracted from Online Dictionaries, Ph.D. dissertation, Dept. of Linguistics, Georgetown University.
- Interpretation of Compound Nominals Using WordNet
- Book Title
- Computational Linguistics and Intelligent Text Processing
- Book Subtitle
- Second International Conference, CICLing 2001 Mexico City, Mexico, February 18–24, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 169-181
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. CIC (Centro de Investigación en Computatción IPN (Instituto Politécnico Nacional)
- Author Affiliations
- 5. AnswerLogic, Inc, 1111 19 th St. NW, suite 600, 20036, Washington, DC, USA
- 6. Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20740, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.