A New Measure for the Bandwidth Minimization Problem
- Jose Torres-JimenezAffiliated withITESM, Campus Morelos
- , Eduardo Rodriguez-TelloAffiliated withITESM, Campus Morelos
The Bandwidth Minimization Problem for Graphs (BMPG) can be defined as finding a labeling for the vertices of a graph, where the maximum absolute difference between labels of each pair of connected vertices is minimum. The most used measure for the BMPG algorithms isβ, that indicates only the maximum of all absolute differences.
After analyzing some drawbacks of β, a measure, calledγ, which uses a positional numerical system with variable base and takes into account all the absolute differences of a graph is given.
In order to test the performance of γ and β a stochastic search procedure based on a Simulated Annealing (SA) algorithm has been applied to solve the BMPG. The experiments show that the SA that uses γ has better results for many classes of graphs than the one that uses β.
KeywordsBandwidth Metric Bandwidth Minimization Problem Graphs Simulated Annealing
- A New Measure for the Bandwidth Minimization Problem
- Book Title
- Advances in Artificial Intelligence
- Book Subtitle
- International Joint Conference 7th Ibero-American Conference on AI 15th Brazilian Symposium on AI IBERAMIA-SBIA 2000 Atibaia, SP, Brazil, November 19–22, 2000 Proceedings
- pp 477-486
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Bandwidth Metric
- Bandwidth Minimization Problem
- Simulated Annealing
- Industry Sectors
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Science and Statistics Computational Intelligence Laboratory, University of São Paulo
- 2. Computer Engineering Department Intelligent Techniques Laboratory, University of São Paulo
- Author Affiliations
- 5. ITESM, Campus Morelos, Paseo de la Reforma 182-A, 62589, Lomas de Cuernavaca, MEXICO
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.