Riemann Problem for the Euler Equation with Non-Convex Equation of State including Phase Transitions
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An exact Riemann solver is developed for the investigation of non-classical wave phenomena in BZT fluids and fluids which undergo a phase transition. Here we outline the basic construction principles of this Riemann solver employing a general equation of state that takes negative nonlinearity and phase transition into account. This exact Riemann solver is a useful validation tool for numerical schemes, in particular, when applied to the aforementioned fluids. As an application, we present some numerical results where we consider flow fields exhibiting non-classical wave phenomena due to BZT fluids and phase transition.
- A.A. Borisov, Al.A. Borisov, S.S. Kutateladze, and V.E. Nakoryakov. Rarefaction shock wave near the crticial liquid vapor point. J. Fluid Mech., 126:59–73, 1983. CrossRef
- [BGMH+03]_F. Bramkamp, B. Gottschlich-Müller, M. Hesse, Ph. Lamby, S. Müller, J. Ballmann, K.-H. Brakhage, and W. Dahmen. H-Adaptive Multiscale Schemes for the Compressible Navier-Stokes Equations — Polyhedral Discretization, Data Compression and Mesh Generation. In J. Ballmann, editor, Numerical Notes on Fluid Mechanics, volume 84, pages 125–204. Springer, 2003.
- G. Dettleff, P.A. Thompson, G.E.A. Meier, and H.-D. Speckmann. An experimental study of liquefaction shock waves. J. Fluid Mech., 95(2):279–304, 1979. CrossRef
- K.C. Lambrakis. Negative-Γ fluids. PhD thesis, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1972.
- T.-P. Liu. The Riemann problem for general systems of conservation laws. J. Diff. Eqns., 18:218–234, 1975. CrossRef
- T.-P. Liu. The entropy condition and the admissibility of shocks. J. Math. Anal. Appl., 53:78–88, 1976. CrossRef
- R. Menikoff and B.J. Plohr. The Riemann problem for fluid flow of real materials. Rev. Mod. Physics, 61:75–130, 1989. CrossRef
- S. Müller and A. Voss. On the existence of the composite curve near a degeneration point. Preprint IGPM 200, RWTH Aachen, 2001.
- R.G. Smith. The Riemann problem in gas dynamics. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 249(1):1–50, 1979. CrossRef
- P. Thompson, G. Carafano, and Y.-G. Kim. Shock waves and phase changes in a large-heat-capacity fluid emerging from a tube. J. Fluid. Mech., 166:57–92, 1986. CrossRef
- P.A. Thompson, H. Chaves, G.E.A. Meier, Y.-G. Kim, and H.-D. Speckmann. Wave splitting in a fluid of large heat capacity. J. Fluid Mech., 185:385–414, 1987. CrossRef
- P. Thompson. Compressible Fluid Dynamics. Rosewood Press, Troy, New York, 1972.
- P. Thompson. Liquid-vapor adiabatic phase changes and related phenomena. In A. Kluwick, editor, Nonlinear waves in real fluids, pages 147–213. Springer, New York, 1991.
- P. Thompson and Y.-G. Kim. Direct observation of shock splitting in a vapor-liquid system. Phys. Fluids, 26(11):3211–3215, 1983. CrossRef
- A. Voß. Exact Riemann Solution for the Euler Equations with Nonconvex and Nonsmooth Equation of State. PhD thesis, RWTH Aachen, submitted 2004.
- B. Wendroff. The Riemann problem for materials with nonconvex equations of state, I: Isentropic flow. J. Math. Anal. Appl., 38:454–466, 1972. CrossRef
- B. Wendroff. The Riemann problem for materials with nonconvex equations of state, II: General flow. J. Math. Anal. Appl., 38:640–658, 1972. CrossRef
- Riemann Problem for the Euler Equation with Non-Convex Equation of State including Phase Transitions
- Book Title
- Analysis and Numerics for Conservation Laws
- pp 137-162
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Gerald Warnecke (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Analysis und Numerik, Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Institut für Geometrie und Praktische Mathematik, RWTH Aachen, Templergraben 55, D-52056, Aachen, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.