Reasoning in interval temporal logic
Predicate logic is a powerful and general descriptive formalism with a long history of development. However, since the logic's underlying semantics have no notion of time, statements such as “I increases by 2” cannot be directly expressed. We discuss interval temporal logic (ITL), a formalism that augments standard predicate logic with operators for time-dependent concepts. Our earlier work used ITL to specify and reason about hardware. In this paper we show how ITL can also directly capture various control structures found in conventional programming languages. Constructs are given for treating assignment, iteration, sequential and parallel computations and scoping. The techniques used permit specification and reasoning about such algorithms as concurrent Quicksort. We compare ITL with the logic-based programming languages Lucid and Prolog.
- Ashcroft, E. A., Wadge, W. W. (1976) Lucid: A formal system for writing and proving programs. SIAM Journal of Computing 5 3: pp. 336-354
- Ashcroft, E. A., Wadge, W. W. (1977) Lucid, a nonprocedural language with iteration. Communications of the ACM 20 7: pp. 519-526
- E. A. Ashcroft and W. W. Wadge. Lucid, the Data Flow Programming Language. To be published.
- Halpern, J., Manna, Z., Moszkowski, B. (1983) A hardware semantics based on temporal intervals. Proceedings of the 10-th International Colloquium on Automata. Languages and Programming, Barcelona, Spain
- Kowalski, R. (1979) Logic for Problem Solving. Elsevier North Holland, Inc., New York
- Manna, Z., Pnueli, A. Verification of concurrent programs: The temporal framework. In: Boyer, R. S., Moore, J. S. eds. (1981) The Correctness Problem in Computer Science. Academic Press, New York, pp. 215-273
- B. Moszkowski. A temporal logic for multi-level reasoning about hardware. Proceedings of the 6-th International Symposium on Computer Hardware Description Languages, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, May, 1983, pages 79–90.
- B. Moszkowski. Reasoning about Digital Circuits. PhD Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Stanford University, 1983.
- B. Moszkowski and Z. Manna. Temporal logic as a programming language. In preparation.
- Rescher, N., Urquart, A. (1971) Temporal Logic. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Scott, D. (1976) Data types as lattices. SIAM Journal of Computing 5 3: pp. 522-587
- Stoy, J. E. (1977) Denotational Semantics: The Scott-Strachey Approach to Programming Language Theory. MIT Press, Cambridge, Masachusetts
- Reasoning in interval temporal logic
- Book Title
- Logics of Programs
- Book Subtitle
- Workshop, Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA, June 6–8, 1983
- pp 371-382
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.