From Learner Information Packages to Student Models: Which Continuum?
- Lahcen OubahssiAffiliated withUniversité René Descartes Laboratoire CRIP5 /AIDA
- , Monique GrandbastienAffiliated withUniversité Henri Poincaré Nancy1 Lab. LORIA/AIDA
User adaptation has been a major issue of ITS research since the beginning. At first knowledge about individual learners was used to produce adaptive educational hypermedia. Then, the deployment of web based learning management systems put the need to exchange learner data between systems in the forefront. Nowadays, specifications for describing learner information in a standardized way are being developed. So far most existing systems have processed learner data. Yet the processed data are neither the same nor are they used for the same purposes, even if they are data about the learners. We argue that it is time to bridge the gap between the many sets of data about a learner processed within different learning environments. We propose a set of categories for describing learner information that goes beyond IMS LIP and could bring a link with ITS learner models.
- From Learner Information Packages to Student Models: Which Continuum?
- Book Title
- Intelligent Tutoring Systems
- Book Subtitle
- 8th International Conference, ITS 2006, Jhongli, Taiwan, June 26-30, 2006. Proceedings
- pp 288-297
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 16. JAIST
- 17. Learning Research and Development Center, University of Pittsburgh
- 18. Graduate Institute of Network Learning Technology, National Central University
- Author Affiliations
- 19. Université René Descartes Laboratoire CRIP5 /AIDA, 45 Rue Saints Pères, 75270 Cedex 06, PARIS
- 20. Université Henri Poincaré Nancy1 Lab. LORIA/AIDA, Bât. LORIA Campus scientifique, BP 239, 54506 Cedex, VANDOEUVRE, France
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.