Attacks on Steganographic Systems
- Andreas WestfeldAffiliated withDepartment of Computer Science, Dresden University of Technology
- , Andreas PfitzmannAffiliated withDepartment of Computer Science, Dresden University of Technology
The majority of steganographic utilities for the camouflage of confidential communication suffers from fundamental weaknesses. On the way to more secure steganographic algorithms, the development of attacks is essential to assess security. We present both visual attacks, making use of the ability of humans to clearly discern between noise and visual patterns, and statistical attacks which are much easier to automate.
The visual attacks presented here exemplify that at least EzStego v2.0b3, Jsteg v4, Steganos v1.5, and S-Tools v4.0 suffer from the misassumption that least significant bits of image data are uncorrelated noise. Beyond that, this paper introduces more objective methods to detect steganography by statistical means.
- Attacks on Steganographic Systems
- Book Title
- Information Hiding
- Book Subtitle
- Third International Workshop, IH’99, Dresden, Germany, September 29 - October 1, 1999 Proceedings
- pp 61-76
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.