EHL Film Thickness Behaviour Under High Pressure — Comparison between Numerical and Experimental Results
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper is devoted to the study of the behaviour of thin lubricant films under high contact pressures. Central film thickness values obtained from optical measurements are compared with numerical solutions from Zhu and Hu’s model. The comparison indicates that both the numerical solutions and the experimental measurements are in good agreement with the Hamrock-Dowson formula at moderate loads and speeds. However, at low speeds and heavy loads accelerated non-linear film thickness reductions shown on the log-log scale are observed in the simulation results and confirmed by the experimental data.
- D. Zhu, Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication in Extended Parameter Ranges — Part 1: Speed Effect, Tribology Transactions 45, 540–548 (2002).
- R. Gohar, Oil Film Thickness and Rolling Friction in Elastohydrodynamic Point Contact, Trans. of the ASME, Journal of Lubrication Technology 93, 371–382 (1971).
- C.R. Gentle, R.R. Duckworth and A. Cameron, Elastohydrodynamic Film Thickness at Extreme Pressures, Trans. of the ASME, Journal of Lubrication Technology 97, 383–389 (1975).
- G. Dalmaz, Simulating Angular Ball Bearing Lubricated Elliptical Contacts — Film Thickness and Traction Measurement, Tribology International 11, 273–279 (1978). CrossRef
- G.J., Johnston, R. Wayte and H.A. Spikes, The Measurement and Study of Very Thin Lubricant Films in Concentrated Contacts, Tribology Transactions 34, 187–194 (1991).
- L. Gustafsson, E. Höglund and O. Marklund, Measuring Lubricant Film Thickness with Image Analysis, Proceedings Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology 208, 199–205 (1994).
- P.M. Cann, H.A. Spikes and J. Hutchinson, The Development of a Spacer Layer Imaging Method (SLIM) for Mapping Elastohydrodynamic Contacts, Tribology Transactions 39, 915–921 (1996).
- J.B. Luo, S.Z. Wen and P. Huang, Thin film Lubrication 1. Study on the Transition between EHL and Thin Film Lubrication Using a Relative Optical Interference Intensity Technique, Wear 194, 107–115 (1996). CrossRef
- M. Hartl, I. Křupka, R. Polišcuk, M. Liška, J. Molimard, P. Vergne and M. Querry, Thin Film Colorimetric Interferometry, Tribology Transactions 44, 270–276 (2001).
- F. Guo and P.L. Wong, A Multiple-Beam Intensity-Based Approach for Thin Lubricant Film Measurement in Non-Conformal Contacts, Proceedings Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Journal of Engineering Tribology 216, 281–291 (2002). CrossRef
- M. Smeeth, P.M. Cann and H.A. Spikes, Measurement of Elastohydrodynamic Film Formation in Rolling Contacts at Very High Pressure, in Lubricants and Lubrication, Proceedings of the 21st Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology, pp. 497–502 (1995).
- M. Smeeth and H.A. Spikes, Central and Minimum Elastohydrodynamic Film Thickness at High Contact Pressure, Trans. of the ASME, Journal of Tribology 119, 291–296 (1997).
- I. Křupka, M. Hartl, R. Polišcuk and M. Liška, Experimental Study of Central and Minimum Elastohydrodynamic Film Thickness by Colorimetric Interferometry Technique, Tribology Transactions 43, 611–618 (2000).
- M. Hartl, I. Křupka and M. Liška, Direct Observation of the Behaviour of Real Surface Roughness Passing through EHD Point Contact, in Transient Processes in Tribology, Proceedings of the 30th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology, pp. 419–428 (2004).
- B.O. Jacobson and P. Vinet, A Model for the Influence of Pressure on the Bulk Modulus and the Influence of Temperature on the Solidification Pressure of Liquid Lubricants, Trans. of the ASME, Journal of Tribology 109, 709–713 (1987). CrossRef
- X. Ai, Numerical Analyses of Elastohydrodynamically Lubricated Line and Point Contacts with Rough Surfaces by Using Semi-System and Multigrid Methods, Ph.D. Dissertation, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL (1993).
- Y.Z. Hu and D. Zhu, A Full Numerical Solution to the Mixed Lubrication in Point Contacts, Trans. of the ASME, Journal of Tribology 122, 1–9 (2000). CrossRef
- D. Zhu and Y.Z. Hu, A Computer Program Package for the Prediction of EHL and Mixed Lubrication Characteristics, Friction, Subsurface Stresses and Flash Temperatures Based on Measured 3-D Surface Roughness, Tribology Transactions 44, 383–390 (2001).
- EHL Film Thickness Behaviour Under High Pressure — Comparison between Numerical and Experimental Results
- Book Title
- IUTAM Symposium on Elastohydrodynamics and Micro-elastohydrodynamics
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium held in Cardiff, UK, 1–3 September 2004
- pp 217-228
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Solid Mechanics and Its Applications
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- thin lubricant films
- central film thickness
- high contact pressure
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 2. University of Cardiff
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Brno University of Technology, Technicka 2896/2, 616 69, Brno, The Czech Republic
- 4. Eaton Corporation, 26201 Northwestern Highway, Southfield, MI, 48037, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.