EFFECT OF VISCOSITY STRATIFICATION ON SECONDARY AND NONMODAL INSTABILITIES
- A. Sameen
- … show all 1 hide
The effect of viscosity stratification on the different mechanism of transition to turbulence is not well understood. In this paper, a viscosity variation normal to the flow in a channel is investigated. The primary and secondary instability are computed, and the transient growth is analysed. It is found that viscosity stratification can have different effects in each case.
- Bayly, B. J., Orszag, S. A., Herbert, T. (1988) Instability mechanisms in shear-flow transition. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 20: pp. 359-391 CrossRef
- Govindarajan, R., L'vov, S. V., Procaccia, I. (2001) Retardation of the onset of turbulence by minor viscosity contrasts. Phys. Rev. Lett. 87: pp. 174-501 CrossRef
- Herbert, T. (1983) Secondary instability of plane channel flow to subharmonic three-dimensional disturbances. Phys. Fluids 26: pp. 871-874 CrossRef
- Meseguer, A. (2002). Energy transient growth in the Taylor-Couette problem. Phys. Fluids, 14(5).
- Ranganathan, B. T., Govindarajan, R. (2001) Stabilisation and destabilisation of channel flow by location of viscosity-stratified fluid layer. Phys. Fluids. 13: pp. 1-3 CrossRef
- Reddy, S. C., Henningson, D. S. (1993) Energy growth in viscous channel flows. J. Fluid Mech 252: pp. 209-238
- Schmid, P. J., Henningson, D. S. (2001) Stability and Transition in Shear Flows. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Wall, D. P., Wilson, S. K. (1996) The linear stability of channel flow of fluid with temperature-dependent viscosity. J. Fluid Mech 323: pp. 107-132
- White, F. W. (1991). Viscous Fluid Flow. McGraw-Hill, Inc., 2nd ed. edition.
- Yih, C. S. (1967) Instability due to viscosity stratification. J. Fluid Mech. 27: pp. 337
- EFFECT OF VISCOSITY STRATIFICATION ON SECONDARY AND NONMODAL INSTABILITIES
- Book Title
- IUTAM Symposium on Laminar-Turbulent Transition
- pp 145-151
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Fluid Mechanics and Its Applications
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.