EFFECT OF VISCOSITY STRATIFICATION ON SECONDARY AND NONMODAL INSTABILITIES
- A. Sameen
- … show all 1 hide
The effect of viscosity stratification on the different mechanism of transition to turbulence is not well understood. In this paper, a viscosity variation normal to the flow in a channel is investigated. The primary and secondary instability are computed, and the transient growth is analysed. It is found that viscosity stratification can have different effects in each case.
- Bayly, B. J., Orszag, S. A., and Herbert, T. (1988). Instability mechanisms in shear-flow transition. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech., 20:359–391. CrossRef
- Govindarajan, R., L'vov, S. V., and Procaccia, I. (2001). Retardation of the onset of turbulence by minor viscosity contrasts. Phys. Rev. Lett., 87:174–501. CrossRef
- Herbert, T. (1983). Secondary instability of plane channel flow to subharmonic three-dimensional disturbances. Phys. Fluids, 26(4):871–874. CrossRef
- Meseguer, A. (2002). Energy transient growth in the Taylor-Couette problem. Phys. Fluids, 14(5).
- Ranganathan, B. T. and Govindarajan, R. (2001). Stabilisation and destabilisation of channel flow by location of viscosity-stratified fluid layer. Phys. Fluids., 13(1):1–3. CrossRef
- Reddy, S. C. and Henningson, D. S. (1993). Energy growth in viscous channel flows. J. Fluid Mech, 252:209–238.
- Schmid, P. J. and Henningson, D. S. (2001). Stability and Transition in Shear Flows. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Wall, D. P. and Wilson, S. K. (1996). The linear stability of channel flow of fluid with temperature-dependent viscosity. J. Fluid Mech, 323:107–132.
- White, F. W. (1991). Viscous Fluid Flow. McGraw-Hill, Inc., 2nd ed. edition.
- Yih, C. S. (1967). Instability due to viscosity stratification. J. Fluid Mech., 27:337.
- EFFECT OF VISCOSITY STRATIFICATION ON SECONDARY AND NONMODAL INSTABILITIES
- Book Title
- IUTAM Symposium on Laminar-Turbulent Transition
- pp 145-151
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Fluid Mechanics and Its Applications
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.