Fingerprint Image Compression and the Wavelet Scalar Quantization Specification
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Due to the large number and size of fingerprint images, data compression has to be applied to reduce the storage and communication bandwidth requirements of those images. In response to this need, the FBI developed a fingerprint compression specification, called the wavelet scalar quantization (WSQ). As the name suggests, the specification is based on wavelet compression. In this chapter, we review the WSQ specification and discuss its most important theoretical and practical underpinnings. In particular, we present the way wavelet compression generally works and address the choice of the wavelet, the structure of the subbands, the different quantizations of the various subbands, and the entropy coding of the quantized data. The performance of the WSQ is addressed as well.
- Antonini, M., M. Barlaud, P. Mathieu, and I. Daubechies, Image coding using wavelet transform, IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, 1(2): 205–220, April 1992. CrossRef
- Barnsley, M. F. and L. P. Hurd, Fractal Image Compression, Wellesley, MA: AK Peters, 1993.
- Bradley, J., C. Brislawn, and H. Topper, The FBI wavelet/scalar quatization standard for fingerprint image compression, Proc. SPIE, 1961: 293–304, Orlando, FL, 1993.
- Brislawn, C., Fingerprints go digital, Notices American Mathematical Society, 42: 1278–1283, 1995
- Brislawn, C., J. Bradley, R. Onyshczak, and H. Topper, The FBI compression standard for digitized fingerprint images, Proc. SPIE, 2847, 344–355, Denver, CO, Aug. 1996.
- Chui, C. K., An Introduction to Wavelets, Cambridge, MA: Academic Press, 1992.
- Clarke, R. J., Transform Coding of Images, London: Academic Press, 1985.
- MPEG-4: Coding of moving pictures and audio, ISO/IEC 14496, 1999.
- Coifman, R. R. and M. V. Wickerhauser, Entropy-based algorithms for best basis selection, IEEE Trans. Info. Theory, 38(2): 713–718, Mar. 1992.
- Daubechies, I., Ten Lectures on Wavelets, Philadelphia: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 1992.
- Ersoy, I., F. Ercal, and M. Gokmen, A model-based approach for compression of fingerprint images, Proc. IEEE Intl. Conf. on Image Processing, ICIP’99, Kobe, Oct. 1999, 2: 973–977.
- FBI, WSQ Gray-Scale Fingerprint Image Compression Specification, Standard IAFIS-IC-0110v2, Criminal Justice Information Services, 1993.
- Gersho, A., Quantization, IEEE Communications Magazine, 15, Sept. 1977.
- Gersho, A. and R. M. Gray, Vector Quantization and Signal Compression, Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1991.
- Gokmen, M., I. Ersoy, and A.K. Jain, Compression of fingerprint images using hybrid image model, Proc. IEEE Intl. Conf. on Image Processing, ICIP’96, Lausanne, 1996, Vol. III, 395–398.
- Huffman, D. A., A method for the reconstruction of minimum redundancy codes, Proc. IRE, 40:1098–1101, 1951.
- Lloyd, S. P., Least squares quantization in PCM, IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, IT-28: 127–135, 1982.
- Lyons, R. G., Understanding Digital Signal Processing, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1996.
- Mallat, S.G., A theory for multiresolution signal decomposition: The wavelet representation, IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 674–693, July 1989.
- Pennebaker, B. and J. L. Mitchell, JPEG Still Image Data Compression Standard, New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1993.
- Rao, K. R. and P. Yip, Discrete Cosine Transform-Algorithms, Advantages and Applications, New York: Academic Press, 1990.
- Sweldens, W., The lifting scheme: Construction of second generation wavelets, SIAM J. Math. Anal., 29(2): 511–546, 1997.
- Tanaka, H. and A. Leon-Garcia, Efficient run-length encoding, IEEE Trans. Info. Theory, IT-28(6): 880–890, 1987.
- Taubman, D. S. and M. W. Marcellin, JPEG 2000: Image Compression Fundamentals, Standards, and Practice, New York: Kluwer International Series in Engineering and Computer Science, Nov. 2001.
- Tewfik, A. H., D. Sinha, and P. Jorgensen, On the optimal choice of a wavelet for signal representation, IEEE Trans. Info. Theory, 38(2):747–765, 1992.
- Rissanen, J. and G Langdon, Arithmetic coding, IBM J. Res. Develop. 23:149–162, Mar. 1979. Also in IEEE Trans. Comm., COM-29(6):858-867, June 1981.
- Sayood, K., Introduction to Data Compression, San Fransisco: Morgan Kauffmann Publishers, 1996.
- Shapiro, J. M., Embedded image coding using zerotrees of wavelet coefficients, IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, 41(12): 3445–3462, 1993. CrossRef
- Srikanth, S. and N.N. Murthy, Adapting JPEG to fingerprint images, Criminal Justice Information Services Technology Symposium (CJISTS’93), sponsored by Federal Bureau of Investigation and National Institute of Standards And Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, 1993.
- Vaidayanathan, P. P., Multirate Systems and Filter Banks, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1993.
- Vetterli, M. and J. Kovacevic, Wavelets and Subband Coding, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1993.
- Villasenor, J., B. Belzer, and J. Liao, Wavelet filter evaluation for efficient image compression, IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, (4):1053–1060, 1995. CrossRef
- Woods, J. W. and S. D. O’Neal, Subband coding of images, IEEE Trans. Acous. Speech Signal Processing, ASSP-34(5):1278–1288, 1986.
- Youssef, A., Selection of good biorthogonal wavelets for data compression, International Conference on Imaging, Science, Systems, and Technology, CISST’ 97, Las Vegas, pp. 323–330, June 1997.
- Ziv, J. and A. Lempel, Compression of individual sequences via variable rate coding, IEEE Trans. Info. Theory, IT-24:530–536, 1978.
- Fingerprint Image Compression and the Wavelet Scalar Quantization Specification
- Book Title
- Automatic Fingerprint Recognition Systems
- pp 385-413
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.