Extracting Global Structure from Gene Expression Profiles
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We have developed a program, GENECUT, for analyzing datasets from gene expression profiling. GENECUT is based on a pairwise clustering method known as Normalized Cut [Shi and Malik, 1997]. GENECUT extracts global structures by progressively partitioning datasets into well-balanced groups, performing an intuitive k-way partitioning at each stage in contrast to commonly used 2-way partitioning schemes. By making use of the Nyström approximation, it is possible to perform clustering on very large genomic datasets.
- Buhmann, JM. Data Clustering and Learning. In: Arbib, MA, ed. The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks. MIT Press, 1995.
- Chung, FRK. Spectral Graph Theory. American Mathematical Society (1997).
- Duda, R, Hart, P. Pattern Classification and Scene Analysis. John Wiley & Sons (1973).
- Eisen, MB et al. Cluster analysis and display of genome-wide expression patterns. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci 95 (1998): 14863–14868. CrossRef
- Fowlkes, C, Belongie, S, Malik, J. Spatiotemporal grouping using the Nyström approximation. Proc. IEEE Comput. Soc. Conf. Comput. Vision and Pattern Recogn (2001).
- Hughes, TR, Marton, MJ et al. Functional discovery via a compendium of expression profiles. Cell 102 (2000): 109–126. CrossRef
- Ripley, BD. Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks. Cambridge (1996).
- Sharan, R, Shamir, R. Click: A clustering algorithm with applications to gene expression analysis. Proc. Of ISMB. AAAI Press, 2000.
- Shi, J, Malik, J. Normalized cuts and image segmentation. Proc IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and pattern Recognition (1997): 731–737.
- Shi, J, Malik, J. Normalized cuts and image segmentation. IEEE Trans. PAMI 22 (2000): 888–905.
- Tamayo, P et al. Interpreting patterns of gene expression with self-organizing maps: Methods and applications to hematopoietic differentiation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 96 (1999): 2907–2912. CrossRef
- Xing, EP, Karp, RM. Cliff: Clustering of high-dimensional microarray data via iterative feature filtering using normalized cuts. Proc. Of the Nineteenth ISMB (2001).
- Extracting Global Structure from Gene Expression Profiles
- Book Title
- Methods of Microarray Data Analysis II
- Book Subtitle
- Papers from CAMDA’ 01
- pp 81-90
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- gene expression profiles
- clustering analysis
- spectral partitioning
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Duke University Medical Center
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Departments of Computer Science, University of California at Berkeley, USA
- 3. Molecular Cell Biology, University of California at Berkeley, USA
- 4. Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of California at San Diego, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.