Apoptosis and cell culture technology
- Mohamed Al-RubeaiAffiliated withCentre for Biochemical Engineering, School of Chemical Engineering, University of Birmingham
The importance of apoptosis in cell culture has now been widely recognised. Recent work has shown that this process is widely manifested during the in vitro cultivation of commercially important mammalian cell lines.
In this review I summarise what is now known of the characteristics, significance and regulatory mechanisms of apoptosis. As the process of cell proliferation and cell death are now considered intimately related, particular attention is paid to highlight the progress and opportunities in the field of cell culture engineering. The strategies that have been undertaken to prevent the induction of apoptosis in cell culture and those which have been suggested as possibilities to improve culture productivity through the apoptosis route are discussed with given examples.
- Apoptosis and cell culture technology
- Book Title
- Bioprocess and Algae Reactor Technology, Apoptosis
- pp 225-249
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Advances in Biochemical Engineering Biotechnology
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Biochemical Engineering, School of Chemical Engineering, University of Birmingham, B15 2TT, Birmingham, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.