A study of provability in defeasible logic
Defeasible logic is a logic-programming based nonmonotonic reasoning formalism which has an efficient implementation. It makes use of facts, strict rules, defeasible rules, defeaters, and a superiority relation. We clarify the proof theory of defeasible logic through an analysis of the conclusions it can draw. Using it, we show that defeaters do not add to the expressiveness of defeasible logic, among other results. The analysis also supports the restriction of defeasible logic to admit only acyclic superiority relations.
- G. Antoniou. Nonmonotonic Reasoning. MIT Press 1997.
- G. Antoniou, D. Billington and M.J. Maher. Normal Forms for Defeasible Logic. In Proc. Joint International Conference and Symposium on Logic Programming 1998, MIT Press 1998 (accepted).
- D. Billington. Defeasible Logic is Stable. Journal of Logic and Computation 3 (1993): 370–400.
- M.A. Covington, D. Nute and A. Vellino. Prolog Programming in Depth. Prentice Hall 1997.
- B.N. Grosof. Prioritized Conflict Handling for Logic Programs. In: Proc. Int. Logic Programming Symposium, J. Maluszynski (Ed.), 197–211. MIT Press, 1997.
- V. Marek and M. Truszczynski. Nonmonotonic Logic, Springer 1993.
- D. Nute. Defeasible Reasoning. In Proc. 20th Hawaii International Conference on Systems Science, IEEE press 1987, 470–477.
- D. Nute. Defeasible Logic. In D.M. Gabbay, C.J. Hogger and J.A. Robinson (eds.): Handbook of Logic in Artificial Intelligence and Logic Programming Vol. 3, Oxford University Press 1994, 353–395.
- A study of provability in defeasible logic
- Book Title
- Advanced Topics in Artificial Intelligence
- Book Subtitle
- 11th Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AI’98 Brisbane, Australia, July 13–17, 1998 Selected Papers
- pp 215-226
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.